Storing fresh cut wood

Jared, did you use latex paint? For some reason, the old guy that used to pay me to paint the ends of his boards always swore by latex paint. I do know that it greatly helps as I had to pay for a couple of boards I missed and the ends were checked and he made me buy them.

Well, I'm new here so I don't know if I should throw my opinion out there or not. I also come down on the minority side of not sealing the ends. While I lose an inch or so on most woods (not mesquite, it doesn't shrink enough to split appreciably), it's just not worth the time and effort, not to mention the cost of the sealant. I don't mill the number of board feet as the previous poster, I have my own mill and have cut tens of thousands of board feet of wood in the last ten years.

I have learned to use anchorseal on the turning blanks I set aside for other woodworkers, though.

Dan, you really don't want to wait to mill the hackberry unless you are going to try and spalt it. Spalted hackberry is stunning but it is very hard to time. Hackberry gets soft very quickly. I'm about an hour and a half south of you. If you want, throw the log on your trailer and bring it down some weekend and I'll mill it up for you.

Scot