Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing on the edge of the Abyss: Lathe with pics!

Standing on the edge of the Abyss: Lathe with pics!

Well,
    I got the call tonight right around dinner time, stopped at the ATM and then met up with my buddy's ex gf, and am now the proud owner of one slightly rusted midi (it should clean up nicely), and one tuned up and riser-block equipped HF 14" bandsaw with one heavy shop built base. Unfortunately my cell phone ate the pic of the saw, but here are the midi (with the base of the saw in the background:

and the set of HF chisels which were part of the deal, as well as a pen mandrel and a face shield... and even some walnut turning stock...

I'll get a better shot of the bandsaw tomorrow, as the storage unit has limited access hours.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 03-22-2008 at 01:26 AM.
    -Ned

Nice gloat! I wish I had the bed extension for my Jet. The band saw should work nicely for you to, I have the same one.

Take all the money out of your wallet Ned, and take a picture of it, just so you will know what it looks like

You are well on your way down the slippery slope, now hurry up and get that shop roof on!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Nice gloat! I wish I had the bed extension for my Jet. The band saw should work nicely for you to, I have the same one.
    I've used both lathe and bandsaw over at Mark K's house, he has his own set of them. The only difference in the saw is that my bandsaw has the riser kit and that massive base on it. MDF and lots of it... and it sure is hefty. Even has a DC port built in... I just have to finagle a hose of some sort to reach from the saw to the bottom of the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Take all the money out of your wallet Ned, and take a picture of it, just so you will know what it looks like

You are well on your way down the slippery slope, now hurry up and get that shop roof on!

Cheers!
    Yup, roof, check....

yeah, just a quick mental wish list:

Barracuda chuck
    several v-shaped bowl gouges from Doug
    a better bench grinder (have one, needs wheels, is not fancy, but was Free)
    a lesson with Bill G. (thankfully I already have the videos!)
    DNA, bucket,
    pen hardware
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 03-22-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    -Ned

So Let me get this straight, your buddies ex GF is selling off his stuff?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    So Let me get this straight, your buddies ex GF is selling off his stuff?
    he bought her a lathe back in the day, they split up and she kept the lathe, doesn't have room for it at the house, wasn't using it and needed some cash.

the bandsaw, he gave to her when he upgraded to a 17" grizzly, same deal, no room, not using needed cash.

so He bought them set them up to the Nth degree , gave them to her, now she can't use them due to space considerations and was losing her storage unit. My gain.
    -Ned

Good score for you. Sorry wasn't implying anything just had to ask.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

thanks Drew, and no problem, I had to ask a couple of times myself to make sure everything was kosher. After she left, I made a point to ask him if I owed Him any money... he said nope, that they were her tools at this point and he's happy that I have them instead of some guy from a classified ad.
    -Ned

Nice catch, Ned. You will enjoy. Those HF tools might be OK and work well for you. But, do pull a couple out of handles. Sometimes the HF, and other imports, have v-e-r-r-y short tangs that can pose a safety risk. Do check.

"Take all the money out of your wallet Ned, and take a picture of it, just so you will know what it looks like..."

You mean, of course, what it *looked* like! Once you go down that slope, it seems like you just don't have any large amounts ever again....

But the real problem isn't the lack of money. Nobody really cares about that. The real problem is lusting after things in one's heart! Really, really wanting that termite tool. Or that hallowing jig. Or, say, mustard. All, all out of reach! How can we keep ourselves from coveting things? Few people know that Shakespeare, too, was a turner, and had the same problem:

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
    I all alone beweep my toolless state,
    And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
    And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
    Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
    Featur'd like him, like him with chucks possess'd,
    Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
    With what I actually have contented least!

Alas! The slope, as Blake would say, is littered with boulders of ungratified desire! These are the things that try men's souls!

Thanks,

Bill