Tired and sick of BBQ

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Spent the day helping out at a local charity BBQ festival. Started at 8:00 this morning, had to rub down 87 cases of pork butts, 8 butts to a case (about 700 butts, 7000 lbs.), load and unloading them from the refrigerated truck. Another team had 500 spare ribs to prepare (had time while resting too snaps some shots), unfortunatly they were frozen, so they had to lay them out to thaw some.

Attachments

• DSC01062.jpg
    DSC01062.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01063.jpg
    DSC01063.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 37
Gee Darren, I'm sure sorry that I wasn't there, 'cause I would have been more than glad to do my share to see that ya'll didn't have to "Reload" any of them when the event was over.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That does remind me though of a time when I flew all the Company "BigWigs" to Durango, Co. for a monstrous BBQ the Company threw for ALL the local residents along with guided tours at the Grand opening of a large Natural Gas Processing Plant we built and were putting on line the next day. It seems that two of the employees that were supposed to cook all the BBQ got the FLU and didn't show up, and that left only one fellow to cook with 1 helper, Soooooo, being a good Co Employee, I (with a little encouragement from Mgmt.):rolleyes: volunteered to fill in for one of the cooks. After working like Crazy for nearly 9 hours, it looked like we were just about to get time to take a break and EAT some of that BBQ, when we got a call that a monstrously destructive thunderstorm with heavy Hail was moving toward the airport, (and there was no hangar space for our Airplane). There was NO choice but to quickly gather my passengers, (who by that time were FULL of BBQ),:rolleyes: and by driving 85 to 90 mph the 30 miles to the airport, we barely got off the ground before the hail arrived at the airport. The worst thing was that since I had not eaten even ONE BITE of that food, the other cook threw together a large box of food for me while I was gathering the passengers, and he gave it to one of the Sr. VP's to give to me. About an hour into the flight, he suddenly remembered that he set it down to go to the toilet before we departed from the Plant and then forgot about it.:doh::bang::bang:

It turned out good though when the CEO heard what was going on, he told me to rush into the Steakhouse before it closed when we got home and buy the most expensive Steak on the menu and accompany it with a large Bar Tab and present it to that "VP" the next day for him to put on "HIS" expense account.:D:D

Note: I "ALWAYS" followed the Boss's directives to a "T". :thumb::D

Last edited:
Three and a half tons of pork butts. :eek: That's a lot of meat. I'd have loved to be there to help eat it. :D

BTW, great story, Norman. ;)

Kudos Darren for your charitable efforts. After all that pork butt rubbing, hand sanding will never seem tedious again.

Is Arthur Bryants still there. I think it was on - or near - 18th Street and Hollywood(?) Blvd. Was there several times in the early nineties. Good ribs, and great pulled pork sandwiches. No atmosphere, just good food.

You know, of course, I was jesting. Good BBQ is to be found everywhere around KC MO. There are other places that challenge KC for the title of having the 'best'. e.g. Memphis, all of Texas, etc. But KC is great.

MMMMMM BBQ!!!!!!

I've only had good BBQ in two places, there was a roadside stand off of I-64 between VA Beach and Richmond, the Second was in Macon GA. It was right up the street from the house and hardly a day went by you couldn't smell it. bad part was that caused me to spend lots of money there!! :D :D

Speaking of pork Tuesday brought home 180 pounds of pork from my brothers. Whats the first thing I did? Why fry up a whole pound of cottage bacon!! It's bacon made from the front shoulders, theres about 4 slices to the pound

MMMMMM BBQ!!!!!!

I've only had good BBQ in two places, there was a roadside stand off of I-64 between VA Beach and Richmond, the Second was in Macon GA. It was right up the street from the house and hardly a day went by you couldn't smell it. bad part was that caused me to spend lots of money there!! :D :D

Speaking of pork Tuesday brought home 180 pounds of pork from my brothers. Whats the first thing I did? Why fry up a whole pound of cottage bacon!! It's bacon made from the front shoulders, theres about 4 slices to the pound

Let me be the first to say this Mickey....You Suck!!:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(just kidding of course...good for you).

You know, I've found that everyone has a taste preference and everyone's is different. We've done contest after contest over the past few years. Same type of food, cooked the same way, tastes the same; hand that over to 6 different people each time to judge and it gets different results every time.

Thanks Travis!!!!

You know, I've found that everyone has a taste preference and everyone's is different. We've done contest after contest over the past few years. Same type of food, cooked the same way, tastes the same; hand that over to 6 different people each time to judge and it gets different results every time.

Your right there Darren. A few summers ago on my way back from a craft show in VA we stopped at a BBQ Stand, people had told me about how great it was. I wasn't impressed, even more so my brother wasn't and told them so :rolleyes: