The WallPapering is done! Next... **Wainscoting**

Greg Cook

I finished wallpapering our powder room...for the 2nd time, (1st one my wife didn't like, so...) and now I can get to work on the next project.

First, though, I sanded the walls to remove the rough sandy texture in the powder room.

I applied a backing paper to the wall to give a good base for the wallpaper, then drew alignment lines.

Next measured and cut, taking care to match the repeat pattern.

Then wetting the paper to activate the glue.

Then "Booking" the wallpaper to let the glue set-up.

First panel is up

Then another.

The wallpaper is done...!

Last edited:
Aren't you fixing up this house for selling!?!?

And you're putting up wallpaper :eek: :huh:

Why would you go to all that trouble for something that a buyer may very well hate?

( I, for one, loathe wallpaper. If you paint the room a colour I don't like... big deal, I can repaint. But if you slap up wallpaper, then you've just made my job 5 times worse. At minimum. )

ps: but it looks like you did a fine job.

Art,

Wallpaper in a powder room is popular here in the PNW. It adds to the value of the house, and goes well with the upgraded granite vanity top we put in. It had stripes when we moved in....:eek:

Thanks for the compliment too!

:rofl:

Last edited:
Looks like a great job, Greg. :thumb: I'm in the same camp as Art...I don't like wallpaper, but if it'll sell your house for more money, then it's definitely worth the work.

So...what's the new project? ;)

Hi Greg :wave:,
Thanks for the walk thru during the progress. It is nice to see a sequence for how things go from point A to point "finished". Often the photos take second place to getting the job done and steps are not documented.
Sometime a thread is like an airplane ride, This is the wood, (boarding the plane) and this is the finished project (the destination). While that is short and sweet and always interesting, sometimes it is nice to walk along with the project, see some dust, a bit of the process, a stack of parts, a mid project update, and so on. Thanks,
Good job!
Shaz :)
(That Vaughn is the let out man, for the cat in the bag, don't mind him, he means no harm!:rofl::rofl:)

Last edited:
:eek: Vaughn guessed right... :rolleyes:
:rofl::rofl:

But this is a bit of a challenge for me...my first raised panels. Add to that, my rails will be 2...top and bottom, and my stiles will be many...and fit end wise into the rails... BassAkwards of a normal raised panel door. It has made my life challenging, trying to get the settings right for the cuts...finding out the boards I have are 11/16ths instead of 3/4. 1/16th makes a big difference when adjusting the router bits to make cope and stick cuts for the frame.

I think I have it now...

View attachment 18844

Chair rail trial/test jigs.

View attachment 18843

Should make some good progress tomorrow.

Last edited:
Norman, thanks..

MDF it is! However, the base board will be a 5 x 1 Windsor One board (pine). Being it's just a sink/toilet room, I think the MDF should be fine. Easier to work with on the router, but the dust is fine. Respirator, DC and air filter on when I cut.

I got all the stiles cut and the 2 rails cut for the long back wall.

My shop made jig worked well.

This is the "frame" up just to check things out... The beige wallpaper that was on before looks good, but full of drawings....

I'm thinking of painting the raised panels a creamy beige, with the rails, stiles, baseboard and chair rail a white.

I think it is going to look nice.

Fun! Off to dinner, then more cutting...may even get some panels done

Last edited:
Yep...she likes it! :D I'm anxious to get the panels cut and try the painting. Still have base board and rails to do for the back and short wall, but the measurements are all done, and stiles cut. Panels are the same size all around, so I can get them cut out quickly and then get it together.

Still to decide is the crown molding and the frame for the mirror....:huh: :dunno:

Oh, and I need to cut/install a slim piece of trim to raise the chair rail up to the same height as the backsplash...

Last edited:
Got the frames done and dry fit. This is the one for the back wall behind the commode.The wider center will get only a flat panel as it's tight behind the commode tank.

This is the side wall. The frame/chair rail is not tight against the wall, but the chair rail will need some thought and work to "return" nicely.

This is my first panel. It was done as a test board, but turned out well.

This is the board inserted into the frame so you can see what the wainscoting will look like. My wife likes the brown of the cut MDF and the white, so we may use that color scheme in the final finishing.

11 more panels to do tomorrow, then fit and trim before finishing.

Thanks!

Hi Greg :wave:,
Your project is taking on a very finished quality. Your wainscote looks very nice in that space and the wall paper is a great choice for an elegant little powder room.
As far as the situation with the molding and the door. It is not uncommon but needs a solution. After market molding with the stock, existing trim can lead to some real head scratching.:huh::rofl::rofl::huh:
What direction are you thinking of going to solve this problem? Before it is too late, you may want to refrain from making the last three panels till you figure out this edge of the molding.:dunno:
Great so far!
Shaz :)

Greg,

At my old house in Florida, I did a 45 degree return at the door casing. My chair rail was not as detailed as yours, it was a basic top cap.

I seen some installations that use a stop molding at the door casing to butt upto.

Randy

Greg,

Heres a couple images of what I was talking about.

Back-Band Molding (what I was calling stop molding)

Backband.gif

Another option would be to replace the door casing with something that has a wide enough edge to butt the molding up to.

Back-Band Casing

Backband_01.gif

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Randy