Router Bit Storage

jim crockett

I now have enough router bits that I am thinking of how to store them. I'm thinking cabinet rather than drawer. Would like the bit holders to tilt down so the bits can be extracted more easily but that isn't an essential.

Has anyone built a router bit cabinet or seen some good plans? I've searched on Google and haven't found anything yet that I really like.

Most of my bits have 1/2" shanks but I do have a few with 1/4" ones. And, as of yet, I don't have any big ones such as panel raising bits. Probably need space for about 50 or so now with a little room to grow.

Help!

Thanks.

Jim

Rick pointed you to a thread I started when looking for some information on bit holders. There are some really good ideas there on a wide range of styles. I really really liked the idea of the holders from Lee Valley. And would have gone that route except for already having the drawers built with 1/4" bottoms. You haven't gone that far, so these could work for you.
That said, the rubber grommets from McMaster-Carr work great, and are very cheap, price wise. It's a snug fit, but not hard to get the bits in and out of. But that may not work as well if I understand how you want yours set up. Am I right that you want something that is either wall mountable, or a vertical drawer that pulls out of a cabinet so that the bits are tilted a little off vertical...like a display case for router bits? If so, the Lee Valley holders is how I would go. If not, please explain how you want these to store. Jim.

Probably because I am a schlep but I don't like reaching into a forest of sharp things and removing one by the business end. I built slots into my RT that fit 3700 series Plano boxes. Adjustable dividers hold all but the largest raised panel bits, the plastic can't damage the cutters and I can see what I'm looking for before I even open the box. Being like I am, I also divide them, by box, into decorative profiles, pattern bits, straight cutters, plunge, etc. . . . . Sad but true. I also store alternate bearings (rabbet bit and the like), wrenches and shims in their own compartment along with bits that use them so I don't have to search for the right ones for a particular bit.

Last edited:
Mine are in a drawer that fills with sawdust due to it's location beneath my router table. I'm outgrowing it anyway, so something like what Mack's got looks interesting... :thumb:

Mack Cameron; said:
The plans were taken from a WOOD magazine. If you are interested, I can do a little more research and find the issue. December 2003, Issue 153, pge 69. It's a special insert by Freud.

Great looking setup!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOD December 2003, Issue 153, pge 69. It's a special insert by Freud.

I can view a picture of this router cabinet online but don't find the plans anywhere. I don't subscribe to Wood Magazine although I do frequent their website often.

Maybe I can figure something out from the pictures you posted.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Jim

Since joining here, I have seen that many of you guys put as much into your shop set up as you do a fine piece of furniture for customers. My shop is pretty well organized but sure not purty. For this question, I would just drill some holes, approximately evenly spaced in a hunk of old 2x4, put bits in and store on a shelf. Blow the dust off when I need one. However, I don't even need to do that as mine came in a nice wood box as a set.

The plans were taken from a WOOD magazine. If you are interested, I can do a little more research and find the issue.
WOOD December 2003, Issue 153, pge 69. It's a special insert by Freud.
If anyone is interested in further info regarding the building of said cabinet, a pm to me with your addy etc, and I'll provide you with add'nl info.

:wave:Further to my previous posts regarding add'nl information to build the router bit cabinet; I have been in contact with Freud Canada and they have graciously forwarded a number of their special pull-out poster and plan for their router bit cabinet.

A pm with your addy to me, and I will forward to you.

Router Bit Cabinet

Here is a router bit cabinet that I just completed. Thank, Mack, for the plans from Freud!!!

Sides/Top/Bottom are pine; back is 1/2” Luan plywood; bit holders, door rail & stiles are oak; drawers are 1/4” BB; and the door panel is 1/4” oak plywood (quite a variety!).

Case carcase and drawers have a spit coat of 1# cut of shellac, two coats of MinWax Ipswich Pine stain, three coats of MinWax wipe-on gloss poly and a final coat of wipe-on satin poly. All oak has three coats of gloss wipe-on with a final coat of satin. Inside of drawers have a full-strength coat of Sealcoat shellac.

Drawers were made with a drawer-lock joint made on the router table with spiral straight bits (I don’t have a drawer-lock bit and wanted to experiment with the joint). An image of how one of the joints turned out is included.

JimC

Attachments

• Router Bit Cabinet_01.jpg
    Router Bit Cabinet_01.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Router Bit Cabinet_05.jpg
    Router Bit Cabinet_05.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Router Bit Cabinet_07.jpg
    Router Bit Cabinet_07.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Router Bit Cabinet Drawer Lock Joint_02.jpg
    Router Bit Cabinet Drawer Lock Joint_02.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 30
Ah, here's those boxes I was talking about.

Attachments

• Bit-slots.jpg.jpg
    Bit-slots.jpg.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Bit-Boxes.jpg.jpg
    Bit-Boxes.jpg.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: