Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UHMW question

Question UHMW question

I want to mAKE a couple of cones to use on my live center for some flower pots I'm making someone gave me a link to it but the link just brought me to the web site. Is this the stuff I need to use (the white slippery stuff)??

http://www.mcmaster.com/ PART # PART # 8701K59

2 products match your selections
    Material Polyethylene
    Polyethylene Material Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW)
    Backing Plain Back
    Shape Rods and Discs
    Rods and Discs Type Rod
    Length Cut-to-Length
    Maximum Continuous Length 5'
    Diameter 4"
    Highest Temperature +100 to +200 F
    Tolerance Standard
    UHMW Material Type

Chuck,

I got mine from EBay. Those I got were about 2" diameter short length cutoffs from machine shop.

Unless you are making a big cone, you will be wasting a lot of material with a 4" diameter. I settle for the hot pink color.
    Gordon

I don't understand your question. Cones? Those pinkies look like cylinders to me. Why are flower pots different than bowls or whatever? Color me confused.

Sorry if I got you guys confused. I have a flower vase with (by accident) a hole that goes completely through the vase. I want to add some wood for a winged base but when I try to turn the vase more it is not running true. The hole it has is 3" so I want to turn a cone to fit on my live center. I have a Jet mini with their live center I'm going to use a forstner bit to make the hole big enough to fit over the live center.

Chuck

Frank,

The cone is for supporting the flower pot or hollow form that has been drilled or hollowed. With the tail stock support, it is easier to refine the bottom of the vessel.

http://www.oneway.ca/spindle/live_center.htm

The bull nose cone for the Oneway is about 3-3/8" diameter, only 2" for Nova live center. If the opening is larger than that, you may have to make your own. BTW, the nose cones are reversible; they are very versatile.
    Gordon

Chuck, if this is a one time throw away hold it till I finish setup, I've made many custom 'chucks' and live center adapters out of scrap pieces of common 2x stock. If worried about marring or scratching put some duct tape on the chuck or a cloth or piece of towel.

Now, if this were a reproducible production piece I might get fancy with materials.

Tony, BCE '75

Chuck

Can you turn a mortise on the bottom of the vase?

If so, turn your winged base with a tenon that matches the mortise and just glue them together

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Seto View Post
    Frank,

The cone is for supporting the flower pot or hollow form that has been drilled or hollowed. With the tail stock support, it is easier to refine the bottom of the vessel.

http://www.oneway.ca/spindle/live_center.htm

The bull nose cone for the Oneway is about 3-3/8" diameter, only 2" for Nova live center. If the opening is larger than that, you may have to make your own. BTW, the nose cones are reversible; they are very versatile.
    OK, plain old jam chuck. Make with scrap anything and a hunk of carpet pad or inner tube.

Gordon,
    Unfortunately the Oneway live centers are about $120 is a bit much for me to spend on a live center

Tony,
    I messed up by thinking I had a big enough piece of wood I glued a piece of Bubinga on the top for color contrast & I still went through the bottom.
    Also this is a maybe one time trial to see if LOML likes it.

Ron,
    I do plan on making a tenon & gluing on on the base but I was going to refine the shape a little & also to take away half of the bubinga top it looks way to thick 2" so was going to turn it down to 1" thick & have the base as 2" thick.

That's why I was asking if this is the stuff I need to use the white slippery stuff.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Beland; 03-23-2008 at 08:14 PM.

(See Frank I'm agreeing with you again)

Chuck, use the base as a jam chuck and refine the vase's shape. You might need the live center to help hold the vase. As Tony mentioned, any old stuff will do to mount on the live center. A foam sheet (or a carpet/rubber sheet) may be necessary to prevent marring. Remove the vase. Refine the shape on the base. Finally, glue the vase on the base. Now, go and buy the slippery white stuff and place it on your shelf somewhere. (Yes, that is the right stuff)

BTW, make sure all the grain is going in the same direction.
    Last edited by Ron Sardo; 03-23-2008 at 08:59 PM.