getting exercise

Frank Fusco

I sold off our cattle about five years ago. Since then, my physical labor has been limited to yard work. What I do in the shop is not really laborious. And, I spend a lot of time on the computer writing. (and visiting here :rolleyes: ) As a result my physical condition has gone downhill. Still eating like before has expanded the waistline. I have lost muscle mass. Previously, I could toss around 50 pound feed sacks with almost no effort. Now, they are a real grunt to handle. So, about a month ago, compliments of Medicare Silver Sneakers program, I joined the local fitness center. Not only enjoying my morning work-outs, things have improved tremendously. Some exercises I could only do one rep. of or none, I am now doing between five and fifteen with more weight. I feel better and sleep better. My gut is still there but instead of being flabby, it is now hard muscle. Dunno if that's good or wat. :dunno: I am adding muscle mass and that is definitely a good thing. Years ago the standard notion was that people beyond about age 60 could not add muscle mass. Well, this 69 1/2 year old is here to tell you it can be done. Some machines where I could only lift 25 pounds at the beginning, I'm now up to 90. So, now I'm preaching. If you need exercise, go do it. Feels good and is fun. What else can you say that about? ;) Nebber mind, this is a family forum. And, oh yes, it does help that. :thumb:

Never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. ;) Glad to hear you're seeing results so soon. That always helps keep the motivation going.

Good for you Frank, good for you. Now run on up here and give me a good swiff kick in the rump. I need it.

I won't lie. I am only 33 years old, don't have a weight issue, and yet my stamina is gone. A few weeks ago I got my sled stuck in the snow, and I was out of breath trying to get it out. A few times I had to stop and just catch my breath. That is sad...very, very sad. I said right then I had to start getting back in shape.

I work hard, but work and exercise are different. I just don't have any stamina and I need to improve that. So as I said, run up here and give me a swiff kick in the rump. I need it. But as I said, good for you Frank. That is inspiring words.

That is really cool Frank, the getting in shape AND the re-enactments. If you feel like booting me in the hiney, come up during the summer and go to a few re-enactments at Fort Knox. My neighbors do a lot of re-enactment stuff too.

Keep it up Frank and those guys at the re-enactment get-togethers will stop kicking sand in your face....:rolleyes:

View attachment 18845

:eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually, I was probably in better shape than a lot of folks my age. Last fall at a rendezvous, there was a hill down to the 'necessities'. A bunch of the boys were gathered at a camp at the top. I came back up the hill and stopped to visit. The guys were just sorta staring at me. Finally one said "you just walked up that hill like it was nothing." I said, "yes, so what?". They all responded that they had to stop and rest a couple times to get up it. But, I do feel a lot better with the exercise.
I had gotten to the point I didn't have much energy. When something needed to be done, I found excuses not to. In other words, the less I did, the less I felt like doing things. And that was a slippery down hill slide.
As an aside. I saw on TV, a recent study has shown that (finally) a common thread has been found in Alzheimer's patients. They lived a sedentary lifestyle. Exercise pumps blood and cleans platelets out of blood vessels in the brain. Without the exercise, platelets build up and cause Alzheimer's. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what might be.

Frank, congrats on your new health... It will add years to your life.

I took off 45 lbs last year. and have only put about 5 back on.

I also know that I am much stronger and just feel so much better.

I work out 4-5 times a week. I do my old nordic track ski machine for 40 mins 3 times a week and I "jazzercise" 2 times a week. The Jazzercise is combination aerobic and weight training. Excellent workout. ( yea, I am the only guy in class, but who's counting? )

I also eat very little fat. I eat nothing out of machines and very little eating lunch out at fast food places.

good luck and good health.

Frank, congrats on your new health... It will add years to your life.

I took off 45 lbs last year. and have only put about 5 back on.

I also know that I am much stronger and just feel so much better.

I work out 4-5 times a week. I do my old nordic track ski machine for 40 mins 3 times a week and I "jazzercise" 2 times a week. The Jazzercise is combination aerobic and weight training. Excellent workout. ( yea, I am the only guy in class, but who's counting? )

I also eat very little fat. I eat nothing out of machines and very little eating lunch out at fast food places.

good luck and good health.

Very good. Only guy in class? If it were me, I'd stand in the back row for the view. ;)