Another Motor question??

Jeff Bower

I've been trying to replace the motor on my lathe, more can seen here, and came across this motor on the Surplus Center's website. The description calls it "24451 BAND SAW MOTOR" and says it is a replacement for a nationally known manufacturer of bandsaws. What is the typical RPM for a bandsaw motor? The specs don't list the RPM or HP?? I would assume it is a low HP since it is so cheap, but who knows??

Can't answer but two things jump out at me. How would you mount it? Doesn't appear to be a mounting flange.

Second, it is a serrated shaft. Not sure if you mount a pulley on there or not?

Thanks Jeff and Bruce on your thoughts....Brad, I'm killing the last part of the day at work...I "lived a little" to much this past weekend...:rolleyes:

An induction motor run on 60Hz power will most likely run either 3450 RPM or 1725 RPM. The 3450 motor will be a 2 pole motor and the 1725 motor will be a 4 pole motor.

Mike

I have that same motor on an old Delta 16" three wheel bandsaw, Not a lot of power, 1/16th HP I think.

As for RPM... As a rule motors in US spin at 1725 or 3450 RPMs. (or close numbers) BS, Lathes, etc. use 1725 RPM motors. Tablesaws use 3450 RPM motors

As was said, look for a motor with a mounting bracket welded on, and get one that is sealed or dust free vented. Lathe filth will clog up the motor in short order as its breathing will suck in the dust and such.

As for your old motor, as you describe, it sounds like the start capacitor is fried. and or the centrifugal switch is dirty or rusty or both. either is an easy fix, so start there.

Last edited: