Thread: 45 degree lock miter jig ideas needed.

45 degree lock miter jig ideas needed.

I’m looking for some ideas and pictures on how to make a “sled” or a jig to hold drawer sides or box sides when using a 45 degree lock miter bit in my shaper. (I suppose the same jig could be used on a router table.)
    What I’m looking for ideas for a jig, or a fixture, that will hold the stock pieces for both the horizontal and the vertical pass past the bit. When I try to just hold the pieces against a miter gauge or the tall fence there is always a little “wiggle” that will ruin the profile.
    Has anyone made their own jig to do this that you could share with me and others?
    Jim

Anytime I need to route a profile on the end of any boards, I just use a scrap piece of plywood about 8" square. Throw a handle on it (shaker peg?) and use it kind of like a miter gauge.

It's hard to describe, but for horizontal passes, I set the square on the table against the fence and the workpiece against the square corner created by this - so end of the board on the fence, back edge of the board on the square piece. Push with the hand on the square piece and use your free hand to keep the workpiece tight on the square piece. It's harder to describe than it is to do.

For vertical pieces, same thing, just on the fence. Square piece flat on the fence (vertically), workpiece against the leading edge of the square piece and the end on the table - just like you've been doing except the square piece gives you that all important no-wiggle support.

Another advantage this offers is that it will backup the wood on the exit of the cut so it can reduce tearout when the bit leaves the workpiece.

Maybe you can adapt something like this to a shaper? I'd offer a picture, but it's just a square hunk of plywood with a knob in the center.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Here's my coping jig, if this helps...

1/4" masonite, scrap board and a toggle clamp.

Attachment 18864
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Anytime I need to route a profile on the end of any boards, I just use a scrap piece of plywood about 8" square. Throw a handle on it (shaker peg?) and use it kind of like a miter gauge.
    <SNIP>
    I tried something like your method, but when doing my test pieces it seemed that there would always be some kind of 'ripple' in the cut like if I couldn't hold it tight enough.
    Jim

Greg,
    This type of sled was suggested to me by another woodworker. Maybe I'm trying to work too much into this when I wonder how it will work when I have to make the cut on the vertical piece with the 45 degree lock miter.
    I suppose I could make some kind of bracket that would hold the jig when it is being used on the high vertical fence.
    Jim