Windows power management question

Bruce Page

I want to be able to power down my LCD monitor when I’m away from the computer. When I right click the “desktop/Properties/Screen Saver/Power/Turn off monitor”, and select 5 min the setting lasts for exactly two power up cycles then reverts back to “Never” mode.
Is there a way to permanently set the computer to power down the monitor after 5 minuets of non-use? You’d think that that the desktop route would do it but it doesn’t. :dunno:

I’m running Windows 2000 Professional. (I know, I really need to get a new system…)

Thanks

I will ask the obvious. Have you rebooted in a while? Thats my best idea.

Jeff, I shut the computer down each night. When I boot up the next day (and the day after that) the computer remembers the power down setting but on the third day it reverts back to the “Never” mode and doesn’t shut the monitor off again.
It’s very weird.

Bruce,

You might try just putting the computer to sleep for a week, rather that shutting it down, and see if it reverts back at some time. The timing, or cycle might give some more clues... :dunno:

FWIW,

Bruce,

Look under "Start,Settings,Control Panel,Power Options" and see you can change something there.

Randy

Power_Scheme.gif

The attachment is from an XP machine but its very similar to an Win2K machine

Last edited:
Up date your system

Go to Microsoft web site and look for system updates. There are a least 3 service packs for Win2K. You will need to run them in order to ensure that you completely update your system. Them retry to set your requirements.
Good Luck.

John

Randy, that's pretty much the same win2k window that I am looking at when I follow the path “desktop/Properties/Screen Saver/Power/Turn off monitor”

Just a thought, is this a personal computer or a work computer? I know my work computer and work blackberry has system policies that are maintained by them.

Randy

Randy, it is my home pc. I read through most of the thread that you linked to but most of it is above my pc skill level. I started getting warnings eg., do you really want to do this? so I backed out. :eek:
The power setting is really more of an annoyance than a problem, I’ll just continue to live with it for now.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks Randy. It's going to take some time to read through that. :eek:
I haven't installed any new software/hardware in several months.

I's not that big of a deal. I was hoping that there was some obvious system setting that I wasn't aware of.

Would using the screen saver option work? XP has a timer for this and I use that. I just have not specified 'wallpaper' to displayed, so I get a black screen.

Bruce,

Seems strange that the power setting you chose doesn't want to stay, without knowing more about your computer I'd say that Carol's suggestion would be a good workaround.

From what I've read so far I think that some form of malware/spyware has infected your computer.

If you want to check for that, Spybot Search & Destroy and Super Anti-Spyware are free tools and easy to use.

Carol, thanks for the tip. I’m going to give that a try when I get home tonight. Yann, I run Spybot every week along with the Norton suite. I don’t think I have a problem but you never know for sure. :huh:

Doesn't answer the 'why does Windoze do this' question... but I push the power button and shut the monitor off whenever I leave for more than a few minutes. :thumb:

If a laptop, doesn't simply closing the lid put it in sleep mode?