40 Mile Commute isn't so bad!

Yeah I have a 40 mile commute one way, but its really not so bad. I follow along the coastline on my way down to work, and all this week I have seen this as I passed Linconville. The other day I decided to stop and take a picture. The land you see just under the rising sun is Isleboro...an island such people as John Travolta, Christie Alley and other famous actors and actresses, live on. The picture came out good, but its too bad it was at low tide. Still, its better then looking at cars on a freeway I guess :(

Linconville_Beach-small.JPG

Last edited:
Yeppers, that definitely beats looking at freeways. Not a lot of people have that nice of view on their drive to the office.

Even though I live in the capital city of freeways, my commute is all on 'surface streets'. (What a dumb name...all streets are on some surface or another.) One stretch of my daily drive is through part of this canyon, about 1/8 of a mile from the house.

TJ%20Canyon%20Rainbow%20800.jpg

Um, yeah, better than my commute view... :(

--MJ
I wanna see pics of Stu's commute. :D And other peoples', too.

I keep going back to the pic Travis posted, though. That's some gorgeous scenery. You're a fortunate guy, Travis. I worked a job one summer in the White Mountains of Arizona, and every evening my 40 mile drive back to the motel was into some of the most gorgeous sunsets I've seen. I had to stop and take pics several nights a week that summer. Unfortunately, none of them are digital, and the prints are stored away deep in a pile of boxes at a storage locker, so scanning them is not happening in the foreseeable future.

Tee hee... at least it looks like the traffic's moving in your neighborhood, Stu! ;)

I've read more cutesy/annoying/politically correct and incorrect/dumb/my kid- honor student bumper stickers while sitting in traffic (nearly $4/gallon for gas now here) than I care to remember. It's a good thing I'm a patient person with only a 6 mile commute... and only 30-40 minutes to get there, what a deal! I just keep my doors locked and try to avoid hitting locals who wear dark clothing and run across the highway at dusk.

--MJ

I'm sure glad mine isn't as bad as yours Stu. Mine is about 40'. Usually I go about 20' out of the way thought and stop by the kitchen for coffee. Occasionally I'll run into the dog on the way and get held up while I pet him or let him out which can easily double or even triple my commute time.

After 10 months of this, I don't know how I put up with a 35 mile commute for 10 years.

Hey Vaughn....'Splain something to this dumb ole farm boy/oil field roughneck.....How come we park on a driveway and drive on a Parkway?

:dunno:

Hey Vaughn....'Splain something to this dumb ole farm boy/oil field roughneck.....How come we park on a driveway and drive on a Parkway?

:dunno:
I could give you the answer, but etymology is more Bill Lantry's forte. :D

Bonus points for those who know the correct pronunciation of forte used in this context. :p

Oh I guess my work site must really suck then. This is the view from the 9th floor of the Bear Mtn resort " Finlyson Reach". The Mtn in the distance is Mt Baker in Washington State. This is 10 min from home. I guess i will just have to suffer. :rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• bear mtn-07.jpg
    bear mtn-07.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 29
Drew that's a nice view, but to tell you the truth, when I was logging professionally, I had the best views from work of anyone. You would be cutting wood and stop to take a breather, and be able to look out over the hills and right out to sea. Other times it was just mountain vistas, and sometimes it was just a glade in a forest with the deer looking at you. (Deer love loggers because it means food). Of course now that I say that I paint myself out to be a disgusting logger who kills innocent trees and ruins views. That really was not the case however. By thinning out the trees, you actually created a view that was not there before. Sometimes I would sit there and say "there aren't many people that will ever stand here and admire this view." That was nice.

I wanna see pics of Stu's commute. :D And other peoples', too.

I keep going back to the pic Travis posted, though. That's some gorgeous scenery. You're a fortunate guy, Travis. I worked a job one summer in the White Mountains of Arizona, and every evening my 40 mile drive back to the motel was into some of the most gorgeous sunsets I've seen. I had to stop and take pics several nights a week that summer. Unfortunately, none of them are digital, and the prints are stored away deep in a pile of boxes at a storage locker, so scanning them is not happening in the foreseeable future.

The sunsets from my house are pretty good as it faces the west, but only on Men in Black does the sunset over the Atlantic. :rofl::rofl: Some of you may have missed that, but in the final scene of Men in Black, the director had the sun setting over the Atlantic Ocean in New York City...which is in the East. I am only a 400 hundred miles away, but here in Maine the sun sets in the west and rises in the east. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tee hee... at least it looks like the traffic's moving in your neighborhood, Stu! ;)

I've read more cutesy/annoying/politically correct and incorrect/dumb/my kid- honor student bumper stickers while sitting in traffic (nearly $4/gallon for gas now here) than I care to remember. It's a good thing I'm a patient person with only a 6 mile commute... and only 30-40 minutes to get there, what a deal! I just keep my doors locked and try to avoid hitting locals who wear dark clothing and run across the highway at dusk.

--MJ

My sister lived in Fairfax VA and did her residency in a hospital nearby. She used to drive the 4 miles to work, but soon found out that running was a lot faster. She was a runner anyway so that was how she commuted. I can see why. I went down there in mud season to help her build a shed since I could not log during the month of April due to the mud. That was an experience.

I actually got pulled over by a cop for being patient. You see I was going to Home Depot and stopped at a red light. When it went from red to green, by the time I got my truck out of neutral, in a gear and started rolling, some woman behind me was blowing her horn like mad. It was like a 2.5 second delay...

So naturally I did as most Mainers would do, I stopped the truck, folded my arms up and waited so the woman behind me would really know what a delay was. I guess a cop saw all this and asked me why I was stopped. When I explained that I was giving the woman a good reason to get upset and blow her horn, he laughed and said I had to get going, but never gave me a ticket or anything. Of course in Maine the woman would have go a ticket for "excessive noise of a motor vehicle."

Anyway, I finally get to Home Depot, get my stuff and begin to check out. So I look at the cashier and say "So how are you doing today?" She just looked at me funny and said "You aren't from around here are you?" It wasn't my accent that thew her either. My sister says no one down there chit chats to strangers and stuff. As it was, I doubt she knew half the people on her little street.

Not trying to knock your corner of the world there MJ, I just couldn't figure it out. Around here a clerk that did not chit chat with her customers would not be employed for long, and I think most people down there use their horns more in one day then I have ever used a horn in my life...actually never even saw a reason to have a horn on a car to tell you the truth, but I digress. The real strange thing down there though was their lawn mowing...never saw anyone mow the lawn in the rain until I went there.:dunno:

Found this guy on the way to work one day. Right now the morning commute is 15 miles 7 on a dead end road. If you don't see at least 4 deer on the way up you know something is wrong. The snow is so deep up on the mountain that the deer have taken to hanging around the road. We have changed there name to the mammoth brown squirrel. Which by the way I recall seeing only one gray squirrel on this road all winter.:dunno:

Last edited:
Bonus points for those who know the correct pronunciation of forte used in this context. :p

Aw, c'mon Vaughn. Us canucks have no problem with ze french words, cuz we can just toss in the appropriate "eh", so I just say "fort - eh!" :rolleyes::p

Found this guy on the way to work one day.

:huh: Chuck, what on earth is that!? :dunno:

As for me, I ain't got no commute right now, as I'm temporarily "retired". Unwillingly. :eek: So I'm in Matt's 20 foot commute camp. But my commute used to be 4km on back roads riding my bike. A bit annoying in December, but sure beats the car in July.