Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Digital Camera - Got the new Camera!

Looking for a new Digital Camera - Got the new Camera!

Well our old Sony Cybershot has bit the dust, and my lovely wife has decided we need a new one.

We ALL have decent cameras for snapshots on our cell phones, thus I see little gain in buying a simple point and shoot type of camera. We went down to an electronics shop today, and looked, some of the lower end SLR cameras are quite interesting, but man, they weigh a ton, and are WAY overwhelming for my wife, she kind of went "TOO MUCH INFO" and put them down.

I'm looking at the "Bridge" cameras.

Some contenders.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lumix_dmc-fz8.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	18958
    Panasonic DMC-FZ8 << Review $300 street price

Name:	lumix_dmc-fz50.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	18959
    Panasonic DMC-FZ50 << Review $440 Street Price

Name:	Canon_S3_3q-001.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	18960
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS << Review $290 Street Price

Name:	CanonS5_3q-001.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	18961
    Canon PowerShot S5 IS << Review $310 Street Price

Well that is just a sample, I've only been doing the research for a while.

I do not thing we want to spend over $500, and we do NOT what a full bodied SLR.

Any advice, comments etc that you can offer, would be GREAT

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 04-02-2008 at 04:37 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, I bought the Nikon D40X last year from cameta.com, my first DSLR. A little more $$ but it takes great pictures and is very user friendly.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Gotta say - with all the auto focus and what-not the SLR can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be. Certainly capable of "point and shoot", but having all the extras when you need them.

I, too, wanted to save some bucks so I went with the nikon D50 - discontinued model and available at a good price if you shop around a bit.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Hey guys, if I had my way, we'd get a SLR, for sure, but Emiko just does not want to haul around the bulk of an SLR, so that is off the table

I do think that the bridge cameras I listed will be pretty darn good....?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Hey guys, if I had my way, we'd get a SLR, for sure, but Emiko just does not want to haul around the bulk of an SLR, so that is off the table
    Then those you mentioned would be a good choice - I've not done a lot of research, but I don't remember coming across anything negative on the Canon Powershots.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Stu - you're right about the SLR. I had a Nikon D100 a while back, with all the options, including the strobe mounted on the top. My wife refused to use it - it was too heavy and too complicated. So I bought a Kodak Z740 (now, an old, obsolete camera).

I don't remember which camera it was, but one (Canon??) has a feature that identifies faces and focus on them. One problem my wife has is pointing the camera at two people (say, sitting at a table) and having it focus on the wall in back of them. If I were buying right now, I'd look for that feature, as well as image stabilization. Almost all new cameras have enough pixels and good image quality.

Oh, and the camera should use standard batteries - not special batteries made just for that camera.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Oh, and the camera should use standard batteries - not special batteries made just for that camera.

Mike
    I wouldn’t let that be a show stopper. The new Lithium Ion batteries are vastly superior to any rechargeable AA type battery that I’m aware of.

one."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I wouldn’t let that be a show stopper. The new Lithium Ion batteries are vastly superior to any rechargeable AA type battery that I’m aware of.
    I would. I'm not convinced, Bruce. Last time I was in the store the guy was telling me that many new cameras are going back to special-purpose batteries and I was not thrilled. I've had it happen too often that my batteries dies at the wrong time, and with AA batteries, it is very easy to pop in our spare set. Also, if you just happen to have forgotten the spare batteries, then virtually any store will have some AAs that you can use as a short term emergency.

The problem I have with special purpose batteries is that they're darn expensive, and you only have one of them! What happens when that battery dies in mid shoot?

Stu, I don't have either of those, but they're both well rated, from what I've heard. We've already got two Canon cameras in the family, and I'd probably lean towards those just for the familiarity factor.

(and I echo what others have said about Image Stabilization - heard many good things on that one)

I've had the S5IS since Christmas and absolutely love it. FWIW it went about 200 shots on the generic alkaline AAs that came with it...I've got a set of lithium AAs in it now that'll probably last until sometime next year.

So far the only thing I don't like about it is that the battery/memory-card access cover: there's only one cover for both and it's on the bottom. That means (1) the batteries want to fall out when you open it to get to the memory card and (2) my quick-change tripod adapter plate has to come off to open it. It's not an issue if you use the USB cable to download pictures, it's just I normally find it easier to yank the card out and stuff it into the laptop than to find the USB cable.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Art, the first charge of the Nikon lithium-ion battery for my D40X lasted 2 months and hundreds of high res pictures, probably 50% with flash, it was only down to half charge when I stuck it in the charger. I always have spare battery/batteries in the bag but I’ve yet to need the spare Li-I that I bought.
    The four AA Ni-MH of my Olympus point & shoot last a couple of days before needing recharging, the backup set of CAD batteries were even worse.
    Granted, lithium-ion batteries aren’t on the shelf at 7-11 but that’s a non-issue as far as I’m concerned.

one."