Thread: Cleaning out the shop

Cleaning out the shop

OK so I am going to go get one of my new to me lathes hopefully this weekend.
    And I have decided to get all the tools I don't use out and take them down to sell. So far there is 2 shapers, two table saw, 2 band saws, one chop saw,one weed whacker, one gas drill, one floor jack, all the cutter head for the shapers,might toss the plasma cutter in but it does not take up much space. There will probably be more I just haven't tripped over it yet.
    What I am thinking is that due to the shortage of space that getting rid of some of this stuff will make room for the lathe and maybe a new table saw but now after the post on the festool I might git one of those and run the little table saw in the shop.
    What it all boils down to is too may toys and not enough room.

Goodness gracious man, PICTURES we demand picture!

Sounds like you are really clearing the decks, getting ready
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    ...What it all boils down to is too may toys and not enough room.
    Exactly... I've re-arranged cast iron many times over the years as I've built my shop so I have enough infeed and outfeed for stuff. It's now gotten to where another 6" grinder on a pedestal would take some thinking.

As much as I love the stability and mass of my cabinet saw, that Festool looks REAL sharp and dead on accurate for sheet goods.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Here is the first batch.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-29-2009 at 03:03 AM.

This is what you get after a day of cleaning
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-29-2009 at 03:03 AM.

I had such lousy shops over the years that when I built mine, even though it was so small, it worked pretty well. I had a lot of planning that went into mine, and after 3 years, I finally made one rearrangement. I am happier with the change now, but I think that is a testament to how well the shop was planned.

I am not bashing anyone who continually changes their shop around.I am a firm believer that if something does not work,change it until it does.I am just saying, planning really well could help you do more projects then rearranging shop tools.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    I had such lousy shops over the years that when I built mine, even though it was so small, it worked pretty well. I had a lot of planning that went into mine, and after 3 years, I finally made one rearrangement. I am happier with the change now, but I think that is a testament to how well the shop was planned.

I am not bashing anyone who continually changes their shop around.I am a firm believer that if something does not work,change it until it does.I am just saying, planning really well could help you do more projects then rearranging shop tools.
    Planning is just what I am doing Travis. All the stuff that is going has not been used in years. So it is out with the old in with the new. Now here is where the planning comes in. What to replace things with to get the most out of my space.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Planning is just what I am doing Travis... What to replace things with to get the most out of my space.
    That one's easy... a Shopbot BT32 "Buddy" (38 x 56 inch footprint). Few things that take up 16 square feet would be as versatile. Catch is the $4500... there is always a catch, no?
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kauffman View Post
    That one's easy... a Shopbot BT32 "Buddy" (38 x 56 inch footprint). Few things that take up 16 square feet would be as versatile. Catch is the $4500... there is always a catch, no?
    I have looked at them but the ones I was looking at had more zeros on the end.
    So the catch with that is I won't be having one of them till I hit the right 6 on Saturday night. Then I might just buy you one too.