Thread: A Coarse Grinding Wheel worth recommending

Stow, OH

A Coarse Grinding Wheel worth recommending

I just got a Norton 3x 46 grit 8"x1" wheel from Hartville. With our Club 20% discount, it is only $36.

I used this to replace a OEM 60 grit wheel from the Woodcraft grinder. This wheel runs silky smooth. It cuts fast, doesn't load up and runs a whole lot cooler. It holds up well; I cleaned up the wheel with a T diamond dresser after shaping two 3/8" tools from scratch. I cleaned up the wheel because I wanted to and not had to. With the WC wheel, I had to dip the tool in water frequently and had to dress the wheel several times because the wheel was loaded up and glazed so bad.

I had tried the Norton 3X wheels from Hartville couple years ago. The wheels were so soft that I had bad grooving problem with very light grinding. I returned those to Hartville.

I have the 80 grit Norton SG wheel on the other side. It is extremely good; but I don't think I use the coarse wheel enough to justify the cost.

Either Norton has made the improvement or Hartville has ordered the correct wheel for HSS tools; I like the Norton 3X 46 grit wheel.

Villa Park, CA
    Thanks for the info and recommendation. For anyone looking for the wheels, I found them here.

When you say you received a "club discount" is that your local club? Or is that a Family Woodworking discount?

Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Goodland, Kansas
    Thank you Gordon. The info is good to know as I am wanting to get a 46 grit wheel. As was asked what club discount yours or FWW?
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stow, OH
    Mike & Bernie,

Yes, #32841 was what I got.

Hartville tools ( Hartville Tool ) has a club discount program with our local AAW chapter. Those members who wish to participate would be included in a list (with name and email address) that our Club provides to Hartville Tools. Every member in the list will get 20% discount at anytime. After certain period, our Club would also get 3% kick back. Now till end of May, they have free ground shipping for purchases over $75.

Hartville has been very supportive of our Club. They provided us with a meeting place for free until we outgrew the place. Our experience with them have been excellent. Hartville promised that our member list would only be used for the discount program; they will never sell or rent the list out.

I live between two Clubs. The other Club meets at the basement of Rockler. On meeting day, members get 15~25% discounts. There are lots of temptations. We are tool rich, pocket poor.

I believe if you mention "Woodnet" on phone order with Hartville, you can get 15% discount.

Toledo, OH

I belong to woodnet and did get a 15% discount the last time I ordered from Hartville. Their service was excellent and I was happy to get my Stronghold at a good price.

I bought my last one from here:
    They provide a bit of info on the two grades.

It sounds like Hartville has switched from the I to the K grade, which is good news. I'd rather give Hartville my business and they'll save me money, as well!