Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (early) April Fool: Possible changes to FWW

(early) April Fool: Possible changes to FWW

Early APRIL FOOL! Please read my reply further down.

I have been PM'ing with the Admins on the forum. It seems we have been approached by a major tool importer that would like to sponsor the forum. They like what they see here and have approached us. They would cover all of our expenses and we would be able to offer some additional services that we currently don't offer. They have web site designers that could help us in several areas that could really improve the forum. They would help promote the forum with advertising and expect the forum could really grow quickly.

This would mean some changes would have to take place to. Obviously they would like to advertise their products on the forum. I think they would also like to add some forums specifically for their tools. I think they might want to moderate their forums?

While nothing is definite they would want some input on the forum management. To what extent, don't know yet. But if they were to pump in money and time they will want some say as to what happens. Nothing has been decided but it's an interesting offer. At this point it just talking and nothing has been decided. But we think it is something we should give some serious consideration too.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 03-31-2008 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Because Frank has no right to edit my post
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

It depends upon what they want to do, and how much interference. "Those with the gold make the rules".

But if the level of interference is acceptable, I would support it. Forums like this have to have financial support. There's no free lunch.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hmm ...

Maybe i'm just a cynic ... but it smells kinda fishy to me. FWW isn't in need, right? And we're payin the bills fine already, yes? Many of us know how it feels on a forum that has grown fast.

It feels like FWW would be tainted, somehow, to me. I really like how it is. I want to stress, though, that I'm not one of those "ACK! CHANGE!!! BAD! NO CHANGE!" kind of people. I'm trying my best to be objective about this and it just ... i dunno ... i don't think the character of this place could be maintained with a commercial interest throwing its weight around. Maybe it's good ... for some forums. I'd just hate for THIS forum to lose what it has.

I won't even charge $.02 for this opinion
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I think most people just don't like a change in the way they see things, and sometimes the ads necessitate a format change... but the Family Woodworking logo thingy at the top left of the screen leaves a blank area big enough for two and half more of the same size blocks to the right with no loss of 'space'.... so why not stick a Festool (or whatever) in there?

I can see good AND bad with this idea, and an ad at the top, (NO Pop Ups) would be OK, BUT basically, it would no longer be a MEMBER run Forum, which IS what the original basis of this Forum was and is all about. I would think this would merit a "LOT" of discussion before we change the whole idea of the Forum. Now if the Sponsor would agree to ONE vote like any other member, then maybeeeeeeee............ ...........but a Sponsor moderated Forum,....No WAY. Growth can be a good thing, BUT we've all seen that growing too fast can certainly have it's downsides and problems too.

Just my $.02, (and you can even charge it)
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 03-30-2008 at 08:36 AM.

FWIW - I would vote against this change in any format that I can personally conceive. As far as I recall the whole point of FW was that it was member run, transparent and democratic in nature. I find it impossible to see that those factors could be maintained.

Last time I checked we didn't need the money. Last time I checked we didn't need the expertise. If that has changed let us know and we will deal with it.

My opinion. One of many.

Sponsering is fine, advertise no problem, but taking over seems to me not a good idea, it's just a matter how far will they go,that's what you have to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    we would be able to offer some additional services that we currently don't offer. They have web site designers that could help us in several areas that could really improve the forum. They would help promote the forum with advertising and expect the forum could really grow quickly.
    I'd like to see the first point expanded upon. What additional services that we currently don't offer? Do we even want/need these services?

The second point is also a big change... "expect the forum could really grow quickly". What sort of impact would this have on the forum. Wouldn't that dramatically increase the work of the mods and admins? are they up for that?

So far, too many questions to make intelligent comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    .... I would be afraid that if they did we would no longer be able to have opinions about other tool brands.....
    I was wondering a similar question. Let's say someone asks a question about model X that's imported by this sponsor. What happens when I used to own model X and sold it because I thought it was the worst waste of money I ever bought? Do I still get to post that?
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Chuck Thoits wrote:
    We can't have there mods being able to moderate other threads. I would be afraid that if they did we would no longer be able to have opinions about other tool brands.

Good point, Chuck, I agree the sponsor should only be able to moderate their own threads and also, the agreement should be in writing.

To take Chuck's point a step further, would there be repercussions from the vendor if critical comments on their product were posted under another thread they do not moderate? The ability to freely exchange experience and information on products brings tremendous value to this forum. While the agreement might be the company can only moderate or restrict postings to their particular threads, it could get interesting.

Also, there should be some language written into the agreement as to how the company would use information lifted from forum discussions (moderated by the company or otherwise) as far as endorsements. Technically, a signed release form should be obtained from the originating poster.

--MJ
    "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."--Vince Lombardi