Benefit Auction

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
As you may or may not know, FamilyWoodworking recently lost a member. (See this thread if you haven't already.) Brad Hungler was 41 when he died suddenly March 27, and a fund has been established to help pay for the education of his 12-year-old daughter Michelle.

Brad had only recently fallen into the Vortex of woodturning, so I thought it would be appropriate to honor him and help his daughter by offering one of my humble turned pieces for auction, with 100% of the proceeds going to the Michelle Hungler Education Fund. It just seemed like the Family thing to do. In order to maximize the exposure and potential sale price, I've listed the piece on eBay. It is item #180228606626. Or, you can search eBay for "Hungler" and you'll find it, too.

If you're interested in helping out by bidding, or even if you just want to see the piece being auctioned, go check it out. I also urge any of you other members to do something similar if you're so inclined, or simply send a donation to the fund:

Michelle Hungler Education Fund, c/o St. Augustine School, 1839 Euclid Ave., Covington, KY 41014.

Thanks.

Toni, I don't know if the fund has a PayPal account set up. If you'd like me to, I can accept a donation from you via my account, and simply add it to the check that I send to the fund after the auction. Send me a PM if you're interested in that approach.

Just a little challenge for anyone interested.

I've bid on the auction, and win or lose, my highest bid, I'll be donating to the fund.

Cheers!

My initial bid for a piece - sight unseen - was $50.00. I'll put that into the fund and send Vaughn a check. Maybe Larry will meet his bid too. How about it, Larry?

You Know what? I'll bet anything given would help, and that goes for the lurkers too! Make yourself feel better, send a buck :thumb: !:clap::clap: Familywoodworking is about civility and sharing, at least that's my take on it, but on this one, you don't have to be a member to help out.
Shaz :)

Just a little challenge for anyone interested.

I've bid on the auction, and win or lose, my highest bid, I'll be donating to the fund.

Cheers!

Dear Stu :wave:,
You read my mind.:eek: :huh: :) :rofl:

Shaz :)

My initial bid for a piece - sight unseen - was $50.00. I'll put that into the fund and send Vaughn a check. Maybe Larry will meet his bid too. How about it, Larry?
You guys rock. :thumb: :bow:

Nancy (or anyone else), if you're sending a check, feel free to send it directly to the fund at the address above. (Or if you want to amass a pile o' money all from the FW gang, I'm OK with that too, and I'll act as the clearinghouse.) If you do send a check to me, make it payable to the Michelle Hungler Education Fund, of course.

For those of you who are outside of the US and want to help, I'm accepting any donations that are sent to my PayPal account and adding them to the proceeds from the auction. Send me a PM and I'll let you know where to send it.

Keep in mind that I'm not the only person around here who makes things...I'm willing to bet other wooden items would generate interest and money for the fund. Feel free to set up an auction of your own. I wanted to help, but wasn't in a position to help much with my checkbook. I did, however, have a finished piece sitting on the shelf that cost me little more than time, but yet I figured it had some worth. ;)

Thanks again everyone. :wave: It's always amazing and heartening to see a bunch of like-minded folks jump in to help others in need.

Well, the auction ended early this morning (I've been away from a computer all day), and we raised $160 for Michelle's education fund. And the winner was...........

Steve Clardy :thumb:

Now here's a man who personally knows how much help a bunch of woodworkers can generate, and also knows how to help others in need. From what I gather, that's the kind of person Brad was, too.

Kudos to Steve :wave: and thanks to everyone who showed interest in the auction. :bow:

Way to go Mr. Clardy! :clap:

I was away all day Yesterday from the computer and I wanted to get another bid in, :doh:Oh well, like I said, I'll be sending my highest bid in as a donation, that would be $110, so the total now is $270, any one else up for the challenge? :)

Cheers

and thanks to you as well Vaughn!