Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could buy a new ts....

If you could buy a new ts....

what would it be?

I had a call from my local wood supplier on Friday. they asked me if I would be interested in selling my GI 50-185L contractor saw.

I said yes/maybe...

I also said that I have a Delra 22-580 planer that is in excesss supply as well. Last year I bought a MM FS30 j/p combo machine.

today I get a call from a guy who is interested in buying my ts and planer.

My price is firm but very very fair.

Now for the fun part!

Since I haven't really seriously considered a new cabinet saw or slider (which is probably overkill anyway for me) what cabinet saw would you recommend? and why.

Joe

I'd love to have a MM slider, but that's just not going to happen...ever. Realistically, I will probably get a Griz 1023, based on reports of quality of saw and price. If I could double that money, I'd love to have a General. If I can find a good used PM66 or even an older Delta Uni for a decent price, I might go that direction. Those are my thoughts for me, and what I'm thinking about. I think the ones I've mentioned, plus the Jet, new Delta, and PM would all be good saws. It's almost set your price limit, then pick your favorite color that is within that limit. Hard to go wrong. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I'd buy an old Unisaw. In fact, if I can sell my saw, I will be buying one. They just don't make them like they used to. I will be using a modern fence, splitter, and blade guard on it though, and probably causing someone heart failure by cutting a dust collection port into the cabinet.

The Sawstop looks really nicely made too.

No question I'd get one with a riving knife and if I had the money, I'd get a SawStop.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If I had the cabbage, I'd go for the Sawstop, or a Steel City cabinet saw.
    -Ned

what is your budget?
    Als ik kan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    what is your budget?
    Mike, he’s got the MM FS30 j/p combo machine, money’s no object!

Seriously Joe, if the Sawstop were available when I bought my unisaw, I probably would have bought it. It looks to be a very capable saw with great safety features.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Money as no object? Sawstop for me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I really like my old Unisaw but if I was to buy new I'd go with the left tilt General cabinet-saw.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

That new Woodtek - 148-271 Hybrid Tablesaw got my attention, with it's "Best Value" and "Best Overall" rating in Fine Woodworking. For me it is sized better than most of the cabinet saws.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	148-271.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	19033

A guy here in Japan brings this saw in, he wants 139,000 yen, or about $1300 for it, it sell in the US for about $750, I think.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward