If you could buy a new ts....

Joe Mioux

what would it be?

I had a call from my local wood supplier on Friday. they asked me if I would be interested in selling my GI 50-185L contractor saw.

I said yes/maybe...

I also said that I have a Delra 22-580 planer that is in excesss supply as well. Last year I bought a MM FS30 j/p combo machine.

today I get a call from a guy who is interested in buying my ts and planer.

My price is firm but very very fair.

Now for the fun part!

Since I haven't really seriously considered a new cabinet saw or slider (which is probably overkill anyway for me) what cabinet saw would you recommend? and why.

Joe

I'd love to have a MM slider, but that's just not going to happen...ever. Realistically, I will probably get a Griz 1023, based on reports of quality of saw and price. If I could double that money, I'd love to have a General. If I can find a good used PM66 or even an older Delta Uni for a decent price, I might go that direction. Those are my thoughts for me, and what I'm thinking about. I think the ones I've mentioned, plus the Jet, new Delta, and PM would all be good saws. It's almost set your price limit, then pick your favorite color that is within that limit. Hard to go wrong. Jim.

I'd buy an old Unisaw. In fact, if I can sell my saw, I will be buying one. They just don't make them like they used to. I will be using a modern fence, splitter, and blade guard on it though, and probably causing someone heart failure by cutting a dust collection port into the cabinet.

The Sawstop looks really nicely made too.

That new Woodtek - 148-271 Hybrid Tablesaw got my attention, with it's "Best Value" and "Best Overall" rating in Fine Woodworking. For me it is sized better than most of the cabinet saws.
148-271.jpg

A guy here in Japan brings this saw in, he wants 139,000 yen, or about $1300 for it, it sell in the US for about $750, I think.

Cheers!

If I wasn't buying a slider I would buy the Sawstop. If Sawstop made a slider I would buy that in a heartbeat.

The only way I would be interested in getting rid of my PM 66, would be if I hit the lottery, (or an oil or gas well):rofl::rofl::rofl:........and then It would probably be MM Slider, OR if it was only a small lottery or oil/gas well,:rolleyes: I "might" consider a PM 2000, (Mainly because it has a Riving Knife).:D

I have the PM2000 with the router lift and I would do it again in a heart beat.

DT

PS: it even cuts wieners :eek:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jet and Grizzly have saws with them too. I've read reports that they are on backorder though. There was an article in one of the magazines that UL is going to start requiring them shortly. I *think* it said they are required now on all new models and within a couple years on all models.

Jet and Grizzly have saws with them too. I've read reports that they are on backorder though. There was an article in one of the magazines that UL is going to start requiring them shortly. I *think* it said they are required now on all new models and within a couple years on all models.

I wonder if Canada is going to smarten up on this. (ie: requiring them.)

You see, Jet doesn't sell into Canada, and neither does Grizzly. I've never seen Powermatic up here either. Considering that Jet and Powermatic are now part of the same company, I suspect it isn't here.

So for us Canucks, it seems that all we have is Sawstop currently for real riving knives on our saws.

i heard rumors that SC has one on their saws now as well.

I have the steel city 3hp cab saw, i like it, but i have nothing to compare it to in the world on cabs saws. the look and feel of the sawstop was far above this saw, but for the money it better be.

i have only seen display models of the pm2000 and almost all displays i have seen are not properly assembled and adjusted so it's hard to tell.

a local company carries Extrema machinery and I am looking at buying the cab saw when i move to my new shop, my dad wants mine and it saves us from moving a fully assembled saw. not sure where extrema is available though.