Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Wood Glue

Gorilla Wood Glue

I received an 8 oz. bottle of Gorilla's new natural color wood glue in the mail today. Don't have any idea why Gorilla sent it to me but am certainly pleased to receive it and try it out. I love freebies!!!

I've been using Titebond for quite a while, usually Titebond II, and have been very happy with it.

Will certainly give this new glue a test and report the results here in a few weeks. Anyone else have any experience with this glue?

Jim

I haven't tried it, but have been told by many that it is a great product.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Free is good, for sure. I've not used the new natural color glue from Gorilla, but if it's like their original product, it sticks well, but can be a bit messy. It'll stain your skin (so wear gloves) and be aware that it foams up and expands as it cures. Also, although it makes a strong bond, it is not very good for filling gaps. It'll fill the gaps fine, but it has very low strength for that application. Epoxy is better under those circumstances.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have used the original Gorilla Glue on several projects, even a step stool held together by dowels and it has worked great. I have not tried this new glue yet, I would be interested to see if it expands like the other or if they tweaked the formula any.
    Rise above the rest

Whatever the color, I'm not a fan of the expanding poly glues. Messy and you must be careful to not use too much. It is removable only with scraping down to the wood. I have had bad luck storing also, hardens in container.

I could be wrong on this one, but I thought the new Gorilla glue was a PVA (yellow) type glue.

Look here - http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/woodglue/index.aspx
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I was wandering about in HD the other day searching for Gorilla Glue (I use a lot of it, but buy in small containers because of the short shelf life... and because I often go to the shop the next day to recover the forenight's renderings and find the lid off the glue sitting and waiting to be secured.)
    I Degress...
    I saw where there is a wide product line from Gorilla, ranging from CA, PVA, & Poly (Plus I think they hade some "Paste" as well..... )

As for the foaming action... When it foams it fills the void, and when the amount of glue within the void is enough to make a dense foam and confined to the area and not allow to escape, it makes a strong joint, Not as strong as when it is not allowed to foam but much stronger than anything else (save Epoxy) Epoxy , in my opinion is more of a Pain and mess than Poly. I use it but reluctantly. As a weather proof glue and as a filling glue I use Poly over all the rest. Lots of success and very little failures so far. Only faiures have come from not containing the swelling and allowing the poly to push the joint apart or bulge the joint, but had I properly contained, the problem would not have occured, Yes wear gloves or wear Gorilla colored hands for a week or so. (Maybe that is where the name originated?)

Different strokes for different strokes as they say, but I've used the original and besides the short shelf life, it is the messiest stuff I've ever used, the results were certainly not the same from joint to joint and a real pain to clean up around the joints afterward. It's good that some folks like it, but I promised myself that I would never buy another foaming poly glue again.

(I know, I've just gotta be different again)

Gorilla Wood Glue

I agree that the original Polyurethane glue from Gorilla was messy. However, the bottle of glue I received yesterday is natural colored PVA.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim crockett View Post
    I agree that the original Polyurethane glue from Gorilla was messy. However, the bottle of glue I received yesterday is natural colored PVA.

Jim
    Now that might be more interesting. Let us know how it works out.