Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cost for 200 pounds of firewood - Ask travis

Cost for 200 pounds of firewood - Ask travis

Maybe Travis can help with this question.

I am doing a little science project comparing costs of various fuels.

How much would 200 lbs of firewood cost?

or put another way - How much does a cord weigh and what does a cord cost?

My guess is that about a dozen logs 8" dia and 12" long would weigh about 200 lbs.

Any agreement or thoughts.

My thought is that this would be a very impractical way to measure wood. Different species of wood vary greatly in density. And fresh cut or seasoned makes a huge difference in weight.

Pete, I just weighed one piece of green cord wood. It weighs 15 pounds. The size of the piece of wood is 1/4 of a cubic foot. There is a 128 cubic feet in a cord.So that would mean that there is 512 pieces of wood in my cord.each weighing 15 pounds. So the cord of wood sitting in my front yard comes in around 7680 pounds.
    Keep in mind that this cord is ash, green and it has been raining on it all day.
    you also have to think about the fact that a cord is 4 foot by 4 foot by 8 feet. That is stacked. air between the pieces counts in the cord but add no weight. So you could probably knock a couple a thousand pounds off that. And come up with around 5 thousand pounds,

Frank's right - various species, seasoning and cutting methods can dramatically impact the potential energy gotten from "firewood".

It might take one of those "All things being equal, the best-case scenario of wood..." and find out which species burns the best then extrapolate costs from there.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My thought is that this would be a very impractical way to measure wood. Different species of wood vary greatly in density. And fresh cut or seasoned makes a huge difference in weight.
    What would you know about being impractical. While you where typing I was weighing wood

Oh forgot the cord in the driveway cost $175.00. But he just went up $20.00 bucks today. So that would make it around .039 cents a pound or right about $7 dollars for your 200 pounds.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 03-31-2008 at 09:47 PM.

not sure on the weight factor

but i can tell ya that a good load in a 8 ft pickup box at its best is just a half of chord and closer to a third of a chord..as for cost factor around us it runs approx 125 chord and the heat index on good wood beit oak or ash or hickory or cherry for instance is that those woods will heat my house for aprrox 600 dollars and 600 dollars of propane or fuel oil at last years prices wont.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks for all the info.

Yes I know there are lots of variables.

Kinda like asking how much does a fat lady weigh...or how big is a small pizza.....Depends on many factors.

I like the about $7 for about 200 pounds of wood.

By The Way - The 200 pounds of wood is about 1,000,000 BTU or about 1 day heating a mid size house in our northern states. Now I know I just introduced another million variables into this but dontcha think if you were sitting in a average house with outside temps about 30 degrees with a nice wood stove - That burning 200 pounds of wood in 24 hours would keep it comfortable inside?

Also -

All that moisture in your firewood you know what happens to it??

Well you use some of the BTU's you had in the wood to turn that moisture into steam and send it up the stack.

I know different woods have different heat values but I bet moisture content is one of the bigger variables.

mr NYE the science guy

your 200 pds of good wood would do fine if the house was up to temp already.. we go threw approximatly 10 to 12 pieces of good wood in the average size of 18 inchs long and approx 6" to 8" diameter in cold weather.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!