Thread: Rose Bowl

Tyler, Texas

Rose Bowl

This is my first attempt at carving. The bowl is from a glued-up blank of 4/4 soft Maple. Since the wood was sorta plain, I decided to stain it...bad decision. It was all blotchy and ugly...even with shellac sealcoat applied first.

So, I then decided to paint it with what I had on hand. After the paint dried I put a coat of lacquer over everything to seal it in.

The bowl is 8" x 5".

Harvey, Michigan
    Interesting piece Cody! Form of the box looks really nice as does your carving of a rose. A suggestion - if I may - would be to add a little of your stain on top of the rose and then wipe it off. It would leave a little dark color in the recesses - sort of a antique look - and would bring out the detail in your rose.

I have to say this is pretty nice work for your first carving! Keep it up!

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
    Very nice carving, Cody, especially for the 1st effort. If it was blotchy and ugly at first I'll have to take your word for it; it looks great now. Nicely done!

ABQ NM
    Cody, your first attempt at carving is better than what I would have done. The form on the bowl and lid also looks very nice. I like Steve's suggestion about "antiquing" the rose a bit, but overall, I think you did a great job, especially for a first.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

If I remember my first attempt to carving, it wasn't half as good as that! So you've skipped quite a lot of time and learning curve in on go

The lid and the rose are a single piece of wood or you carved the rose apart and then attached it to the lid??
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Very nice Cody, and that for the first time!!
    I think I have to try this in the future.

Cornwall, England
    Carving is something I've not really tried yet. I have some chisels but haven't yet had your courage to attack a piece of wood with them.
    I like Steve's idea to bring out the highlights in the rose, maybe the light but the details are a bit lost with the bright colouring. The bowl looks really good.

Tyler, Texas
    Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I was afraid the piece was so ugly that no one would comment at all.

Steve, I actually considered using the little artist's brush that I had and putting some of that black paint in the carving grooves but chickened out. I have some gel stain and I may try that, instead and do as you suggested.

I've decided that a rose is pretty tough carving. I think next time I'll try some leaves, vines and a simpler flower.

Fort Worth, Texas
    Nice carving! I actually like the stain. I'm betting it develops a nice patina as it ages.
    I may be lost but I'm making good time!
    Three Seasons Woodturnings