Chisel Storage?

Rex Myers

Folks, I'm in the process of setting up the shop I always said I deserved. It was in the basement, but now I'm moving it into the garage (along with 2 cars). I never had good chisels and only one plane. Now, thanks to ebay, I have a very nice collection of both. I'm working on a HEAVY bench constructed from 2x8s split in half and face glued to make a top. When finished it will have drawers underneath for plane and chisel storage. I am looking for ideas for keeping the chisels from rolling around. So far I'm thinking a wooden box or a leather tool roll. What do you think? Anyone have plans for a classy box for chisels?

Thanks

Depending on where you are, leather wraps can hold moisture, and cause your chisels to rust........ DAMHIKT :doh:

I made up this little drawer divider in my tool chest.......

chisels_sharp_stuff.jpg

Nothing special, but I can see at a glance if I'm missing one, and it keeps them from bumping into each other.

Cheers!

Great, I wanted to say that whole box lifts out of the drawer as well, so you could take the chisels to the bench where you are working.

Cheers!

Mine are stored in a box. All the chisels are the same handle size, so this works well for me. On the end of the handle there is a 1" hole, then a slot cut for the chisel blade to fall into. On the lid side there is a board attached that comes down over the slots when the lid is shut to hold the chisels in place when in transit.

Attachments

• DSC01055.jpg
    DSC01055.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 37
Rex,
I keep mine in a plastic bag filled with rocks. At least that what it seems like when I use them.:rofl::rofl:
Seriously though, good question. I'll be watching this thread as well for ideas - in case I ever get a decent chisel.

Wes

My storage is pretty simple. I just attached a magnet strip to a piece of wood and attached that to the wall. The Stanley chisels below I've had for about 25 years and just keep them in the original plastic case and it stays in a drawer.

Attachments

• chisels.jpg
    chisels.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 41
Like others, nothing fancy. I need them easy to get to and safe from banging into each other. I built a small drawer unit that fits under my bench. I put a magnet bar in one shallow drawer. The kind you normally hang on a wall

I set the height so that the chisel backs lay flat on it. I'll try to post a pic so it makes more sense.

My chisel storage is simply a piece of wood with holes drilled in it and a sort of V shaped cutout from the edge of the board to each of the holes. This hangs on the wall behind my bench so I always have the chisels quick at hand. Though it would encourage me to put them back in the rack each time I grab one, but I still most often lay them on the bench when I reach for some other tool. :D

I would heartily recommend that any cabinet with drawers etc beneath the bench leave sufficient space under the bench for holdfasts and other things that protrude through holes in the bench to be used. My holdfasts are indespensible for work holding but they need several inches clearence beneath the bench top in order to be used.

I use a magnetic bar - about 12" long and about $15. I attach it to the joists in the ceiling - well within reach, yet the kiddos can't get to them.
Paul Hubbman

Though it would encourage me to put them back in the rack each time I grab one, but I still most often lay them on the bench when I reach for some other tool.

I went with the box for that reason, can take it over where I'm working. Have my straight chisels in another box so if I need a larger or smaller size they are there with me.

Thanks for the ideas

After thinking about it, I realize I have three types of chisels; bevel edge socket chisels, carving chisels/gouges, and turning chisels. Since this is a hobby and I don't work every day in the shop, putting them away at the end of the day appeals to me. I think a tray/box in one of my future drawers for each of the three catagories makes the most sense. Oh, and of courses I understand I need to leave clearance above the drawers for hold-fasts throught the bench top.

Thanks Everybody!!!!:)