Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel Storage?

Chisel Storage?

Folks, I'm in the process of setting up the shop I always said I deserved. It was in the basement, but now I'm moving it into the garage (along with 2 cars). I never had good chisels and only one plane. Now, thanks to ebay, I have a very nice collection of both. I'm working on a HEAVY bench constructed from 2x8s split in half and face glued to make a top. When finished it will have drawers underneath for plane and chisel storage. I am looking for ideas for keeping the chisels from rolling around. So far I'm thinking a wooden box or a leather tool roll. What do you think? Anyone have plans for a classy box for chisels?

Thanks

Depending on where you are, leather wraps can hold moisture, and cause your chisels to rust........ DAMHIKT

I made up this little drawer divider in my tool chest.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chisels_sharp_stuff.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	19090

Nothing special, but I can see at a glance if I'm missing one, and it keeps them from bumping into each other.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Eureka!!

I love it! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

PS I'm still open to other good ideas

Great, I wanted to say that whole box lifts out of the drawer as well, so you could take the chisels to the bench where you are working.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Mine are stored in a box. All the chisels are the same handle size, so this works well for me. On the end of the handle there is a 1" hole, then a slot cut for the chisel blade to fall into. On the lid side there is a board attached that comes down over the slots when the lid is shut to hold the chisels in place when in transit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01055.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Smile Ideas, Ideas, Ideas

I love the ideas! Keep them coming!

Rex,
    I keep mine in a plastic bag filled with rocks. At least that what it seems like when I use them.
    Seriously though, good question. I'll be watching this thread as well for ideas - in case I ever get a decent chisel.

Wes

My storage is pretty simple. I just attached a magnet strip to a piece of wood and attached that to the wall. The Stanley chisels below I've had for about 25 years and just keep them in the original plastic case and it stays in a drawer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chisels.jpg  

Like others, nothing fancy. I need them easy to get to and safe from banging into each other. I built a small drawer unit that fits under my bench. I put a magnet bar in one shallow drawer. The kind you normally hang on a wall

I set the height so that the chisel backs lay flat on it. I'll try to post a pic so it makes more sense.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

My chisel storage is simply a piece of wood with holes drilled in it and a sort of V shaped cutout from the edge of the board to each of the holes. This hangs on the wall behind my bench so I always have the chisels quick at hand. Though it would encourage me to put them back in the rack each time I grab one, but I still most often lay them on the bench when I reach for some other tool.

I would heartily recommend that any cabinet with drawers etc beneath the bench leave sufficient space under the bench for holdfasts and other things that protrude through holes in the bench to be used. My holdfasts are indespensible for work holding but they need several inches clearence beneath the bench top in order to be used.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet