Board Buddies Opinions

Jerry Palmer

Guess it is really too late to affect my decision since I already ordered them and they are on the way. But . . . :)

Over at another forum, one of the members recently posted about a kickback during a rip cut. In his case, it looks like a technique issue was the main culprit. Technique and not even a splitter, much less any other safety devices. Though I have seen ever so many posts on kickbacks, this one got to me. He was asking about feeders and such, but I went and took a good look at Board Buddies and not only linked to them in a post, but ordered a pair for myself. Fifty bucks, including shipping, seems little enough price to pay and it seems to me that in addition to the safety factor, they should add significant accuracy to rip cuts by keeping the work piece snuggly against the fence, and in the case of grooves and other non-through cuts (even on the router since I use a table saw extension router table) the downward pressure they apply should help keep a consistant depth of cut.

Anyway, is anybody using these and, if so, has your experience with them been bad, good, indifferent?

BTW: In the case of the kickback incident mentioned above, Board Buddies would have prevented it since it appears his technique actually pushed the board toward the blade instead of the fence at the end of the cuts. It was only a matter of time before it happened, and I most amazed that it hadn't happened previously.

Last edited:
Almost bit last woodworking show I was at... basically would be a time saving thing, as I have plenty of featherboards, both home made and bought already for various machines. The board buddy would in many setups be quick and easy. I also almost picked up a pair of those heavy magnetic featherboards. Talk about quick and easy, plop it down, turn the switch and instant featherboard.

I have them and I've been very pleased. I only use the pair on wider boards. For more narrow stock where I can't get my push block "safely" by the blade I do like Joe and only use one on the back side of the blade.

I just have figure out how to get them mounted to my new Biese fence without drilling a bunch of holes in it.