Winged Bowl in Burl

Alex Reid

Today I went into the workshop to do something completely different but instead came out with this small winged bowl. I have an end table on the block that I haven't quite started so... You may remember a platter I made back in September that had some remarkable burl figure in it. I still have a couple chunks so I made this today out of one of the chunks. The remaining chunks though are quite small. This bowl is W-120 x L-280 x H-22mm. The finish is BLO/Tung/Poly mix polished out with the Beal system.

wingedBowl1.jpg

wingedBowl2.jpg

wingedBowl3.jpg

Beautiful work Alex! Great looking burl! I really like the elongated form and the clean detail lines to highlight the 'lip' area of the bowl! Really outstanding work Alex!

Very nicely done. The wood certainly has a lot of depth to it in that top photograph. Probably wasn't that fun to sand though. :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the comments.

Very nicely done. The wood certainly has a lot of depth to it in that top photograph. Probably wasn't that fun to sand though. :rolleyes:

Rob the wood looks quite three dimensioal after applying a finish. Probably the most dynamic wood I have turned. Sanding wasn't that bad.

Very, very nice. I'm impressed with the depth of the figure in the photo. I'm not sure you named what wood it is. Just curious! I'm guessing its something native to Japan. Beautiful, whatever it is. I especially like the colored inclusions! I have a couple chunks of wood that you've inspired me to do something with! Thanks!

That's a beauty Alex, certainly can just see it placed as a highlight on one of your pieces of furniture, I note you use the Beal system, do you use the standard 'wheels' or the smaller 'ball' bowl mops for pieces such as that.

Thanks again for the comments.

Nathan the wood has not been named because I am not sure the species. When I bought it the seller said it was marble wood. But a search for this species didn't bring up anything. When turning it has a spicy smell.

Chas I use both the Beal ball system and the wheels. The balls are for inside bowls and the wheels are for outside, flatwork, etc. I recommend the Beal polishing system - works great.