another vacuum chuck system

Clark O'Neill

i finally finished rounding up parts for a simplest version of a vacuum chuck system for my nova lathe. thanks to steve schlumpf for his detailed explanation on the entire process @ http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7984 and to stu ablett for a look at the chuck itself @ http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8750. anyone should be able to build one of these by reading those threads.
my deviations were for the sake of simplicity so they may not be inviting to others. for instance i'm just using one filter right before the pump to catch anything that enters the system. there are no wheels on the system yet even though i bought two. maybe add them later if i get tired of lifting it.
a few pics..plywood was rough but what i had in the shop that was the right size:
DSC01281.JPG DSC01282.JPG

the silencer screws right into the outlet of the vac pump eliminating lines. i didn't like the light gauge wiring that came with the pump as my 220v circuit is on 20 amp breakers so i wired 12 gage cable right into the pump. a single coat hook on the back side provides storage for the vacuum line and the power cable.

i've only made the 2.5" chuck but will add two larger chucks soon. i worried that the threaded 8/4 birch chuck might not seal well on the spindle so i added an oring to the inboard end of the spindle and cut a counterbore in the mating side of the chuck so that the oring is compressed as the chuck is seated. the oring is hard to see in the photo and i may decide it's overkill.
DSC01283.JPG DSC01284.JPG
so i tested the unit..covering the end of the adapter before attaching to the lathe registered 25.5 in. Hg. and plugged into the lathe, chuck in place with a flat board across the chuck registered a little ove 21 in. Hg.

Last edited:
well stu, i followed your post and used 3 min. epoxy. i did prep the pvc pipe with an alcohol rub just to make sure it was squeaky clean. on this small dia tube i was able to cut a groove in the wooden chuck that fit the tubing very tightly. so when i spread epoxy along the groove and pressed the tube in place the epoxy overflowed just enough on the I.D. that i was confident it made a good vacuum seal as well as a mechanical joint. i have not added silicone sealer (yet?). the larger chucks will probably just have the O.D. of the wooden chuck turned to fit the I.D. of the tubes as you and others have posted.