Powermatic 14 Oscillating Spindle Sander...

Greg Cook

I've been looking for a spindle sander for a while and finally found one on craigslist. I stopped by today and took a look. It has 5 Spindles, 5.75L X .25" .50" 1.50" 2.0" and the optional 3.0" spindle. 5 table inserts, 3 round and 2 oblong. 1/2 HP, 110V, the table tilts 0-45. The owner added a 4" dust port.

Also included were pack of 6 each...100 grit 1/4" ($12), 100 grit 1/2" ($13) and 150 grit 3" ($20+) sanding sleeves. The optional 3" sanding spindle and table insert are about $80 Retail.

The sander looks like it was well taken care of, is fairly quiet, smooth and sands well. At $245, it might not have been a real steal, but with the optional 3" setup, I'm pretty happy with it.

I still say you got a great deal - an OSS with cast iron ain't cheap and to get the PM for that price, even used, is a pretty dang good deal, IMHO :)

Looks sweet, Greg. I've been eyeing spindle sanders for making knife handles. I'd have had a hard time passing up that price for that machine.

Thanks, guys... I've got the top cleaned up nice, and cleaned and wiped down all the spindle rods with WD40.

I found out the spindle rod that fits into the rubber body for the 1 1/2" and 2" spindles accepts the 3/4" sanding tube. I have an extra clip that screws into the rod base that holds the tube from spinning. So now I have 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1 1/2", 2" and 3" sanding tube capability. :thumb:

G

Glad you didn't let that one slip by. Sure sounded like a good deal to me when you first posted it, and looks like the deal might have even had a few added attractions.:thumb: Enjoy!!