Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shop Construction

New Shop Construction

Again, Another new shop is going up. Well it is almost complete at this time but I have pictures!. We started construction in April of this year. We had to have 240yds of dirt brought in so the new shop would be close in elevation to the existing garage. I am a hard core diy type of guy. My wife and I did all of the work except for the concrete and dirt work. I did have help raising the trusses. Tough to do by yourself. The first group of pictures show the front of the house and the beginning of the dirt pad placement to the right of the house. Plenty more to follow. Any questions please ask??

cool mark! please keep the pic-n-commentary runnin`.....if you can`t tell we like shop building threads
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Looks good Mark, yes please to more pics!!

Only questions I have so far are; what kind of wood are those trees you cut down, have the logs started spalting, and what kind of lathe do you have/plan to buy

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for this thread Mark. I look forward to hearing about the rest of the construction -and seeing the pictures. That's one heck of a lot of dirt!

Also Mark, I'm thinking that this thread might fit better into the 'Carpentry and Constrction' forum. Would you mind if I moved it?
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 12-07-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    Cheers, Frank

Stuart, The trees I believe are called valley oak. I have quite a few of these trees. Yes they have spalted. I was going to saw them up and see if the wood is any good. If these become firewood I have plenty more.

Frank, I think moving it is a good idea. I wasn't paying attention when I put it in these forum. It was a lot of dirt. A lot more than the dirt guys planned for. I will post some more pictures later tonite.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Mark,
    I went ahead and moved it. I'll be looking over your shoulder..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Mark,
    I went ahead and moved it. I'll be looking over your shoulder..
    Thanks, Don. Looking forward to the addition pictures, Mark.
    Cheers, Frank

Here is the next group of pictures. These show the finished grading and the concrete forms. In addition is the concrete pour. I hired out the grading and concrete work. I would prefer to do the work myself except the dirt compaction and concrete pour takes more friends than I have. The pictures show the new driveway connecting the existing attached garage to the new workshop. This was late April after large amounts of rain for us. The soil around here is heavy clay and once it gets wet it stays wet. The trees in the background are mostly oak with a few pines. I guess some dimensions might help. The shop is 30' wide and 28' deep. This would provide me with enough room to start. If in the future it is not enough I have plans for expanding to the left side of the building. I believe I have plenty of space but I also have a backup plan.

It's great to see people building dedicated shops. Not everyone can, but it sure is a nice way to go. Good luck with it.

Richard