Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe questions

Lathe questions

Hey Fellas,

I recently got this lathe from an old man who was getting rid of his tools. It's a Beaver model 3400 series made by Rockwell.

I think I've got everything I need to start turning except a live center for the tailstock.

My question is this; Does anybody know if all live centers are created equal and anything I buy will fit or do I need to dig deeper to find something specific.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe.jpg  
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so keep your hands away and watch out!

No, Yann, Live-Centers are not all created equally.

You might get some good info from this thread:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=8552

Yann, here is the parts manual for your lathe...also the instruction manual and the operation/maitenance manual if you don't have it. Looks like it is a MT 1...that might limit what your options are?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thanks for the reply Gord and also thanks for the link. I've seen LC's with different tapers how do I know which to buy?
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so keep your hands away and watch out!

So a #1 Morse Taper would mean a MT1 live center?

--- Added later ---
    BTW Thanks Jeff
    Last edited by Yann Arbour; 04-03-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yann Arbour View Post
    So a #1 Morse Taper would mean a MT1 live center?
    Correct.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well that shortens the list of options considerably, Now I'll have to see if there's anybody in my area that carries something that fits in my budget that'll last a while.

Thanks again for your help.

I would be surprised if that Rockwell/Beaver has a #1 MT All the Rockwells I have seen or used have a #2 MT (although I haven't used the Canadian version "Beaver") How big is the hole? How far can you stick your little finger in the hole. #1 is fingernail MAX #2 gets to the second knuckle. There is a more scientific and accurate method but as an old stand by guage...

If budget is the primary factor, stay with a cup center and use soap as a lube. Worked for years for me. Or you can get a modest priced one from Craftsman that performs well and will last a long time. After you are accomplished at tuurning, you may want to venture into the more elaborate offerings. What you show is a fine and dandy machine and will serve you well and you can add an assortment of very good assoceries. Only draw back is the speed is adjusted by step pulleys. I have gotten used to them and see little advantage to Variable speed other than convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    I would be surprised if that Rockwell/Beaver has a #1 MT All the Rockwells I have seen or used have a #2 MT (although I haven't used the Canadian version "Beaver") ...
    According to the manual Jeff found, it does look like it's a #1 MT.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yann I think that is right a MT1. You are also going to have some problems finding accessories because the headstock is 7/8" X 14 tpi over the bed and 3/4" X 16 tpi outboard. So you may have to a adaptor to use a chuck or faceplate unless you have one or can find one.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.