Lathe questions

Yann Arbour

Hey Fellas,

I recently got this lathe from an old man who was getting rid of his tools. It's a Beaver model 3400 series made by Rockwell.

I think I've got everything I need to start turning except a live center for the tailstock.

My question is this; Does anybody know if all live centers are created equal and anything I buy will fit or do I need to dig deeper to find something specific.

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 83
Well that shortens the list of options considerably, Now I'll have to see if there's anybody in my area that carries something that fits in my budget that'll last a while.

Thanks again for your help.

I would be surprised if that Rockwell/Beaver has a #1 MT All the Rockwells I have seen or used have a #2 MT (although I haven't used the Canadian version "Beaver") How big is the hole? :huh: How far can you stick your little finger in the hole. #1 is fingernail MAX #2 gets to the second knuckle. There is a more scientific and accurate method but as an old stand by guage... :thumb:

If budget is the primary factor, stay with a cup center and use soap as a lube. Worked for years for me. Or you can get a modest priced one from Craftsman that performs well and will last a long time. After you are accomplished at tuurning, you may want to venture into the more elaborate offerings. What you show is a fine and dandy machine and will serve you well and you can add an assortment of very good assoceries. Only draw back is the speed is adjusted by step pulleys. I have gotten used to them and see little advantage to Variable speed other than convenience.

Yann I think that is right a MT1. You are also going to have some problems finding accessories because the headstock is 7/8" X 14 tpi over the bed and 3/4" X 16 tpi outboard. So you may have to a adaptor to use a chuck or faceplate unless you have one or can find one.

Morse Taper Sizes

A #1 Morse taper is 0.475" at the front end.
A #2 Morse taper is 0.7" at the front end.

Attachments

• Cone_Morse.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi Yann,

You have the same lathe as my old one - same make and model. As stated in the posts, the headstock is 7/8" 14tpi and the tailstock is MT#1.

I made a 5" handwheel, drilled a hole in it and threaded it onto the outsied of the headstock, which made it easier to turn your pieces by hand and attach chucks, etc...

I hope you have lots of fun with it!
-Gari