Thread: GLOAT! Back in the saddle!

GLOAT! Back in the saddle!

It's been about six weeks since I last turned anything because my doctor told me my allergies to wood were affecting me too severely. I ordered a Trend Airshield and it finally arrived today. It took a lot longer than I had hoped it would. Thanks, Canada Customs!

Well, it's here now and here is a photo to prove it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trend.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	19166

While I waited for it to arrive I took a little time and built a sharpening station for my grinder and Tormek to sit on. I put some drawers in it and a few sliding doors on the bottom behind which I have a couple of shelves. Nothing fancy but I should be set for storage for most of my turning tools and supplies for quite awhile. Color me pleased!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharpening.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	19167

Now I can't wait for Sunday as it will be the first day I'll have a chance to get back to the shop and start learning the turning all over again.

Good for you!

I now wear my Triton power respirator just about all the time that I turn, makes it just that much nicer, not breathing in that dust, and the full face protection is good. One other thing I've found that is good about the Triton, the hood on the unit, comes down low enough to just about eliminate any chips from going down my collar!

I'm sure you will enjoy the Trend!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Congrats Gord. You won't regret it. It made a night and day difference in my turning. I hang mine by the door and it goes on when I walk in to turn. Have had breathing problems since. I did order another battery so I could have a fresh one if one went down so I didn't have to stop turning.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats, Gord. I think you'll be real happy with the Trend. I like the fact that my Trend doesn't fog up the way my plain faceshield does.

The new cabinet/sharpening station looks real good, too. Looking forward to seeing some new work, off the lathe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Gentlemen,

What do you guys do about noise abatement when you're wearing one of those? Can you you it in combination with noise canceling headphones?

Thanks,

Bill

Noise abatement?....I'm usually rocking to the Beatles...Three Dog Night......THe Eagles......Fleetwood Mac.......60's era rock-n-roll when I'm turning. My lathe really doesn't make that much noise.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Gentlemen,

What do you guys do about noise abatement when you're wearing one of those? Can you you it in combination with noise canceling headphones?

Thanks,

Bill
    HUH Hey speak up I can't hear you.

Sorry I just couldn't resist. I use ear muffs or foam ear plugs. But I don't have one of those things. but I do have a dust be gone mask.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 04-04-2008 at 04:04 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Gentlemen,

Thanks,

Bill
    My Triton HAS headphone style hearing protection, just pop them down, and I'm good to go!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward