Fixed a rifle scope

Pretty cool repair. Of course I could have got you some of that Balsam Fir pitch...I got a few fir trees you know :)

I was laughing as I read your post because I know back in WW-II they hired teenage girls to run around and grab pail fulls of the sap to epoxy the bomber-sights on B-24 bombers and stuff. I guess the pitch is crystal clear and doesn't distort the vision?:dunno:

Glad you got your gun fixed for sentimental reasons anyway.

I've messed with guns and gun repair for a long time but never heard of a repair job like that. Usually an old scope is just pitched. Congratulations on the heritage preservation.

I hiked out through the woods last week and I was surprised at how much fir I have, and how big its getting. I hit it pretty hard about 15 years ago and now everything I left behind as saplins has jumped right up and is ready to be harvested again. Of course as I looked at the trees I could not help but notice that they were riddled with sap blisters!! If you need some more just ask!

Those projects are the most rewarding ones. Good job John:thumb:

I remember using Canada balsam back in my hig school years, at the natural science lab.

We used it to be able to see much better a preparation under the microscope.
Sometimes the microscope lost a lot of illumination due to the different refraction index between the preparation, the air and the lenses, so what we did was to put a drop of balsam on top of the preparation and actually dip the lens into it, in this way the light was always travelling through materials that the same refraction index and hence we got less light loss.

It really made a difference.