Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta 14-207 Drillpress

Delta 14-207 Drillpress

Hi All,

I hope this is an appropriate question. I have my father's Delta 14-207 floor model drillpress. I am planning on a new larger unit. How can I find out the approximate price I should try to sell this for? The old tool web site that Glenn told me about has been down for several weeks so I am not getting help from there.

It is in good condition, works like a charm, no play in the quill.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Enjoy,

Jim

Location: North San Diego County if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 04-04-2008 at 06:03 AM. Reason: I didn't mention condition
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who hasn't quite graduated from being a tool collector into being a woodworker, but one of my friends kept his smaller DP after and upgrade, put the mortise attachment on and uses it as a dedicated mortiser.

Would the current Delta mortise attachment work on the drill in question?

How old are we talking? Some of the older models (1940's to maybe 60's) will bring good money. Especially a floor model. Now if we're talking 1980's old that is a different story. But the rule of thumb is 50% of new and add or subtract for condition. I have to ask, why do you want to sell it?

If it is a really old one, you would be foolish to sell it to buy a new one. I went from a newish (1980's)Delta to two 40's or 50's model Craftsman drill presses and you couldn't swap me 10 news one for one of these. There was not no comparison in the two.

Oh yea, www.owwm.com is back up now. But they/we don't do estimates. So it'd not going to help you much on price. Best bet it put it on EBay and let them tell you what it is worth.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Here's an exploded view but no hint on date. http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...asting-DP4.pdf
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Oh heck. If that is the same drill press (that Greg linked too) you would be foolish to replace it with an imported Drill Press. I looked at the exploded diagram but didn't recognize it. That one is at least twice the quality of most new ones!!!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Ya hear that dad? So if you want to get a new one, you should pass this one down to your son just like your dear old dad did to you ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Ya hear that dad? So if you want to get a new one, you should pass this one down to your son just like your dear old dad did to you ;-)
    On the other hand, a REAL son would be buying his dad a new Steel City 17", so Dad would have a reason to pass down the old one.

Jim, I'll echo the others...sounds like that drill press would be better off kept than sold.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    On the other hand, a REAL son would be buying his dad a new Steel City 17", so Dad would have a reason to pass down the old one.

Jim, I'll echo the others...sounds like that drill press would be better off kept than sold.
    Vaughn You Are My Guy. A Steel City 17" would be a nice thing and Glenn has a much larger shop than mine so he could absorb the Delta.

Enjoy,

Jim
    VOTING MEMBER

Hi Mark,

This is NO little drillpress. It is a floor model and weighs a "ton." Shop just isn't large enough for two drillpresses (three car garage that, sometimes, houses one car at night, and, all of the time, houses washer, dryer, freezer, FAU)

I am posting photos in a few minutes.

Thanks and Enjoy,

Jim
    VOTING MEMBER

Hi All,

I cannot seem to get my replies to attach to the right message so here is one to all of you who responded.

The booklet and instructions that came with the DP say printed in 1937. I am not sure, however I think my dad purchased it somewhere around the time I went into the Navy/Marines 1n 1943.

I removed the moving parts some time ago to be sure that everything was OK. It was. There was no rust. Lubricants were in acceptable condition. I re-lubed as per replies from SMC members. All parts are tight, no slop, bright and shiny clean.

Due to small parents, problems in WWII, undiagnosed health problem, I weigh a magnificent 110 # dry (not even wringing wet). I put blocks on the DP table to adjust the height. I do this because it lowers easily, but this "hunk" cannot get it to go up without a lot of grunting and sweating. I really want an elevating table.

As an aside: Putting blocks on the DP table brought back a flash memory. When I was learning to fly (1941) we had to tape blocks on the rudder pedals so I could reach them.

I am enclosing photos. The dark stuff on the column is not rust. It appears to be some kind of stain. I have not attempted to clean it. If I still have it after my workbench and Myrna's laundry cabinets are finished, I will try to clean it. I made sure the works were healthy and figured cosmetics could come later.
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 08-20-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    VOTING MEMBER