Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smocks.........??

Smocks.........??

I'm in the market for a turning smock.

I have been looking hard at two in particular.......

From Craft Supplies.........

<< Linky pic
    $54

or from the The American Association of Woodturners.....

<< Linky Pic
    $35 for members.

If you have either of these smocks or something else, please chime in and give me your thoughts on them, good, bad or otherwise.

Thanks!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Don't have a smock, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I haven't decided if the smock is that much better than a regular old t-shirt.

On a side note, I discovered over the past two weekends that chainsaw chaps are very handy for weed-whacking the hillside in our back yard. Not so much for the protection from flying sticks and rocks, but when I'm done, I can take the chaps off and not track bits of vegetation into the house. When I'm done with the hill, it looks like I've been sprayed with a liquid mulching machine.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I want to the smock for several reasons, one, I'm often over in the Dungeon in the morning before I head to the L shop, but fairly often, I'll get called over to the L shop to deal with a customer or salesman. To be able to take the smock off and walk across the street, would be nice. Also, not bringing sawdust into the house would be good
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

I have the green from CSUSA and the AAW smocks. The AAW won't hold up as well in laundry. It is lighter weight, but it is not cooler than the green one. I suspect it is due to the nylon kind of material. I don't like about the CSUSA version is the Velcro patches on the chest and collar; they are magnet to wood chips.

Last fall, I went to Hong Kong /China. I had 2 long sleeves and 2 short sleeves 100% cotton custom tailor made smocks for a lot cheaper than I can get here. They were made using the AAW smock as pattern with mesh material at the back and underarm area. I chose tightly woven cotton, they resist wood dust very well. They have not gone through the summer heat test yet. I really like the long sleeves for winter.

You are not that far away from China, may be that is an alternative.
    Gordon

I have two of the AAW type in different colors. I've been satisfied with mine so far, but haven't laundered either of them. They don't stay on that long and blowing them off with an air hose has done a good job so far.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Ahem...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch920623.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	19182

(found here)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Ahem...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch920623.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	19182

(found here)
    Classic Art, just classic!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu I have the first one from CSUSA. I had the AAW and it doesn't last to long when you run it thru the wash a few times. I really like the velcro around the neck as it does keep the chips out.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I don't have a picture of this smock so my description will have to do.

One of my turning friends had his wife make a smock from some vinyl coated picnic table fabric that he bought at the sewing store. This smock fits over his head like a poncho and is open on both sides. It is kept in place with two velcro straps. She sewed welting around all the edges for comfort and to prevent raveling and tearing.

My friend says it is very comfortable, does not get wet when he is turning wet wood, is easy to clean and nothing sticks to it.

My friend is a large man and when you see him in this red checkered smock it immediately brings a smile to your face. He teaches woodturning in this thing and it makes him the center of attention I can assure you.

Oh, by the way, I have the short sleeved smock from CSUSA and find it to be very comfortable. I also have the sleeveless turning smock from Packard Woodworks that I wear when it is cooler. It is heavy nylon and I find it to be warm in warm weather. It is not waterproof however so if you are turning wet wood you will be turning wet wood in a wet smock in short order.
    Last edited by Mike Stafford; 04-04-2008 at 01:43 PM.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Classic Art, just classic!
    Glad you liked it. I tried, but I couldn't resist.