Smocks.........??

Stuart Ablett

I'm in the market for a turning smock.

I have been looking hard at two in particular.......

From Craft Supplies.........

<< Linky pic
$54

or from the The American Association of Woodturners.....

<< Linky Pic
$35 for members.

If you have either of these smocks or something else, please chime in and give me your thoughts on them, good, bad or otherwise.

Thanks!

Don't have a smock, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I haven't decided if the smock is that much better than a regular old t-shirt.

On a side note, I discovered over the past two weekends that chainsaw chaps are very handy for weed-whacking the hillside in our back yard. Not so much for the protection from flying sticks and rocks, but when I'm done, I can take the chaps off and not track bits of vegetation into the house. When I'm done with the hill, it looks like I've been sprayed with a liquid mulching machine.

I want to the smock for several reasons, one, I'm often over in the Dungeon in the morning before I head to the L shop, but fairly often, I'll get called over to the L shop to deal with a customer or salesman. To be able to take the smock off and walk across the street, would be nice. Also, not bringing sawdust into the house would be good :rolleyes: :D

Stu,

I have the green from CSUSA and the AAW smocks. The AAW won't hold up as well in laundry. It is lighter weight, but it is not cooler than the green one. I suspect it is due to the nylon kind of material. I don't like about the CSUSA version is the Velcro patches on the chest and collar; they are magnet to wood chips.

Last fall, I went to Hong Kong /China. I had 2 long sleeves and 2 short sleeves 100% cotton custom tailor made smocks for a lot cheaper than I can get here. They were made using the AAW smock as pattern with mesh material at the back and underarm area. I chose tightly woven cotton, they resist wood dust very well. They have not gone through the summer heat test yet. I really like the long sleeves for winter.

c26f454c.jpg

You are not that far away from China, may be that is an alternative.

I have two of the AAW type in different colors. I've been satisfied with mine so far, but haven't laundered either of them. :eek: They don't stay on that long and blowing them off with an air hose has done a good job so far.:dunno:

Stu I have the first one from CSUSA. I had the AAW and it doesn't last to long when you run it thru the wash a few times. I really like the velcro around the neck as it does keep the chips out.

I don't have a picture of this smock so my description will have to do.

One of my turning friends had his wife make a smock from some vinyl coated picnic table fabric that he bought at the sewing store. This smock fits over his head like a poncho and is open on both sides. It is kept in place with two velcro straps. She sewed welting around all the edges for comfort and to prevent raveling and tearing.

My friend says it is very comfortable, does not get wet when he is turning wet wood, is easy to clean and nothing sticks to it.

My friend is a large man and when you see him in this red checkered smock it immediately brings a smile to your face. He teaches woodturning in this thing and it makes him the center of attention I can assure you.

Oh, by the way, I have the short sleeved smock from CSUSA and find it to be very comfortable. I also have the sleeveless turning smock from Packard Woodworks that I wear when it is cooler. It is heavy nylon and I find it to be warm in warm weather. It is not waterproof however so if you are turning wet wood you will be turning wet wood in a wet smock in short order.

Last edited:
Stu,

Last fall, I went to Hong Kong /China. I had 2 long sleeves and 2 short sleeves 100% cotton custom tailor made smocks for a lot cheaper than I can get here. They were made using the AAW smock as pattern with mesh material at the back and underarm area. I chose tightly woven cotton, they resist wood dust very well. They have not gone through the summer heat test yet. I really like the long sleeves for winter.

There you go Gordon, you can now go into business selling your smock.

---
smock
smock
smock
smock
smock
smock
smock
smock

It is a fun word to say

smock
smock
smock
smock
smock

Stu, I have the one from Lee Valley. I like it very much but haven't used it enough to have it washed yet. I like the velcro collar as it keeps chips from getting down my neck. :thumb:

The only thing I don't like, and it's a small beef, is that chips do tend to stick to the elastic cuffs a bit. :dunno: Not a big deal IMHO.

This is the "Robert Sorby" smock I got at Woodworker's Supply. Long sleeves with ribbing at the cuffs - and it sips up all the way to keep chips out of the neck area. It's a cotton-polyester blend - it can be pretty warm in the summer, but it sure does feel good when the temps are low.

That's what I'm wearing in my avatar picture.

Thanks Tony

That looks a lot like the apron that Bill Grumbine is wearing in his DVD........ :huh:

Being leather, I guess it would be durable eh?

Another option :rolleyes:

Back in my day as a teacher, I used to wear "Shop Coats" as teachers were expected to wear a coat and tie (all the time) Shop coat in the shop and sport coat in the classroom or halls, etc. There was a time when teachers were expected to act professionally and provide role model appearance. Now they wear jeans and who knows what. When I retired I left my coat behind. SWMBO has been after me to wear something so I can leave the filth behind when I return to the living quarters of the home and not track my pleasures with me. I get so warm, I wonder if a long sleeve "Smock" might generate a heat problem? But would a short sleave get the job done? I am not feared of chips striking my delicate arms but they tend to gling to the hair that covers them. I too am interested in the outcome of this shopping delima. I would rather spend my $35 on a tool or supplies than a garment that will get stained and tattered. Pockets are handy but would not they fill with debris? If I wore long sleeves and reached over a TS and it caught on the blade ... ECCH!:eek:...