Best air filtration system?

I have a dust collector & am now going to add an air filter to
my shop(it's 20' x 22' x 9').

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best one, in the $200-$400 range?
Do they usually come with the hangers required to hang them or do you buy them separately?

My shop is in my garage with no air conditioning so I usually work, in the summer, with the door open,
is it correct to assume I wouldn't run the air filter
while the door is open & then run it for a few hours when I close the door?

Thanks
Dennis

Jet makes a decent filtration unit. My shop is 24x28 and I use 2 of them. You are correct in not running with the door open. I run mine for about four hours after working in the shop.

I use this one:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Remote-Controlled-Heavy-Duty-Double-Air-Filter/G9956
It's big, though, so rather than hang it I rigged up a way to attach it directly to the overhead. My shop used to be a garage also, and the ceiling is low enough that if I suspended it it would have had to be in a place where I wouldn't be banging into it. It works well, and I'm pleased with it. After it's been running a few minutes, if I open the door into the house I can feel a small pressure differential. You will see comments and claims about noise with these things, which of course are all very subjective (except for the db measurements, but where was the meter, what was the environment, etc). I don't think it's possible to have a meaningfully-sized blower running that doesn't make some noise. So what actually does "loud" mean?...up to you. I will say about this one that it makes enough noise that I don't run it continuously unless I'm doing something like power sanding, or operating any machine that kicks up dust, then I let it run on about 1/2 hour and turn it off. The other way I use it is before leaving the shop I stir up the dust with an air hose and let the filter run for an hour...doesn't leave it looking like Mr. Clean whirled through there, but it helps. If this one ever gives up the ghost I'll replace it in kind. The first-stage filters are available at Lowes. BTW, even with this machine running, some operations (like sanding) still require a dust mask.

Cheers.

Dennis,

Even in summer, with the garage (er, shop!) door open, I still run mine. Even in that situation, I get a noticeable difference. I've got mine set up off center, so with the door closed the air goes in a "racetrack" pattern. Can't imagine how I ever lived without it... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

The Jet does a good job as Mike says.

I have this one on the overhead:

100_2392-1.jpg

And this one on the deck closer to what I am doing.

100_2153.jpg

My shop is 24' X 24' X 12'

DT

Don
If you were going to buy just one of your two Jet air filters, which one would you buy?
Thanks
Dennis

The overhead. It does a real noticeable job from the get go. I just figured with my breathing problems I need all the help I can get. :thumb:

DT