Thread: faceplate question

North Carolina Foothills

faceplate question

Any recommendations on type of screws to use for faceplate turning?

Tokyo Japan
    Square drive (Robertson) sheet metal screws are about the best, I would think.

If you want more holding power, then go with hex drive, lag bolts, but be sure to pre-drill for those.

NEVER use drywall screws, they are very hard, and thus brittle, they WILL break, which WILL wreak your day.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    My latest favorite are relatively thin (#10 or #8, I don't remember offhand) hex head lag bolts, about 1 1/2" long. I drive them with my 14.4v impact driver and no pilot holes. (Green wood only. For dry wood I'd be drilling the holes.) Prior to that, I was using #10 or #8 pan head Phillips head sheet metal screws, also about 1 1/2" long. Robertson head sheet metals screw (as Stu mentioned) would also be good.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Mason Michigan
    I learned about them in Bill Grumbine's video.
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

I have always used shanked Flathead Steel Wood screws. Reason is because the shank adds more shear resistance, But of late I have converted to Sheet metal screws (flathead) because woodscrews are getting harder to find and proper sized Sheet metal screws have enough mass to resist shear. Never less than a #10 or #12 screw. You need flathead screws to draw the faceplate snug and prevent any lateral movement.

Sorry Vaughn.... Always predrill pilot holes (even in green wood) driving screws into wood w/o pilot holes only starts the splitting process and has half the gripping strength (estimate w/o scientific study) as it opens/seperates the fiber structure to allow penetration of the screw similar to a nail, Remember that a screw is a coiled wedge and as such it pushes apart the fibers. Pilot holes allow for the threads to cut through individual fibers and create a secure holding surface.

Seldom use the same screw repeatedly as each time it is used metal fatique becomes more taxing and weakens the screw.

Goodland, Kansas
    I use stainless steel hex head screws that are self drilling. Kinda pricey but they hold well and green wood doesn't bother them.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    NEVER use drywall screws, they are very hard, and thus brittle, they WILL break, which WILL wreak your day.!
    Very Wise Words ...

Repeat this as many times as necessary to imbed it in your mind before you imbed a turning in your skull.