Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut down a tree for the sake of having stock

Cut down a tree for the sake of having stock

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smiley Face View Post
    When you are like me or another guy if you need a tree you just go cut one. If you want it spalted you just leave it out for awhile. If you want a burl you just look a little harder.I don't have the acreage another guy does but I have axes to a far amount of land to cut on.
    Saw this quote in another thread, do any of you cut down perfectly good trees just for the sake of turning stock?

When and if I need wood, I always look for trees already down.

Hmmm ... I can't see myself cutting down a "not-dying" tree just for turning stock, but maybe there's more to this than he posted? Maybe he and his friend are doing harvesting anyway and are milling for lumber as well as for turning stock? I could see myself doing that too if I was managing a woodlot.

cheers eh?

I'd not cut down a tree in the yard that provides shade and or a place for songbirds etc, but on a woodlot, yeah, why not

Trees are a crop, just like wheat or corn, so when the tree is growing well, and of the right size, why not cut it down, and why not for turning stock, I mean they cut down trees and mill them for lumber.......... and that gets used in FLATWORK

A tree in a yard, is not a "crop" to be harvested, but if that tree were brought down by disease or a storm, certainly using it to make turning stock is better than it ending up in a landfill, trees on tree lots are there to be harvested.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Really depends on where the tree is growing.

You can't cut tree down just for turning if it's growing in a city or a populated urban area.

But if you live in a rural area or a densely wooded area it's really not a big deal.

Like Stu said, where do you think lumber for flat work comes from?

I was watching a show on PBS the other night about trees that are used as crops. They where showing Australian Eucalyptus trees that take 6 years to grow to a height of 100 ft and 12" diameter. These trees where harvested for making paper

I agree. I don't cut tree just anywhere. I have the use of my dads farm which has a lot of pasture area. Only problem is it is probably 70% cottonwood and 25% ash with some hackberry thrown in. But I do go get me a tree once in a while. The tree is not wasted because my BIL takes the rest for firewood. So it is not wasted at all.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I would be the author of that quote. And the answer is yes I have cut down a fine specimen of a tree just to get the burl. Some times the rest ends up in the stove other times it ends up as ant food and squirrel houses. The ants end up as bird food, the bird ends up as fox food and so on.
    Lets not forget that every December thousands of trees end up as a temporary decoration just to be pitched in the trash a week or two later.

Some interesting replies, thanks folks.

I wasn't implying anything, just merely asking to be asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    I would be the author of that quote. And the answer is yes I have cut down a fine specimen of a tree just to get the burl. Some times the rest ends up in the stove other times it ends up as ant food and squirrel houses. The ants end up as bird food, the bird ends up as fox food and so on.
    Lets not forget that every December thousands of trees end up as a temporary decoration just to be pitched in the trash a week or two later.

I know a couple of forums that would go ballistic if they read this

You are right Ron. It reminds me of people who get all upset because animals are killed for food.

I live on 400 acres much of which is woods. I wouldn't hesitate to cut a tree down if I needed the wood.
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Gill View Post
    You are right Ron. It reminds me of people who get all upset because animals are killed for food.

I live on 400 acres much of which is woods. I wouldn't hesitate to cut a tree down if I needed the wood.
    Ya gotta love a girl that owns a sawmill!