Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor old truck

Poor old truck

I made it earn its keep today

Dozer broke down over at the wood lot. So I got the goose neck trailer, loaded up the 2940 JD and went to retrieve it.

Put an 11,000 pound tractor on a 6500 pound trailer made the old girl bark a little

On a brighter note take notice that I finally got my side kit on the flatbed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2940 on truck.jpg  

I bet she felt a tug behind her Mickey, but to your credit it looks like you got your weight just about right. I could be wrong but it looks like the majority of the weight of the tractor was on the trailer axles, and the goose neck weight neither looks too light, not to heavy.

This is completely preference, but I get squimish over the years loading equipment on trailers. I typically BACK them on, and DRIVE them off, but that is me. Of course it changes the weight on the trailer too...to a worse position really if you do back it on. I would make a guess that those rear tires are loaded with calcium?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Your vehicles really do work for a living, huh? Unlike some of the trucker wannabes I see driving around LA with dolled-up duallies that have never pulled a load heavier than the owner's fat backside.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've had lots of practice Travis. Sometimes I drive them on sometimes I back them on. just all depends on my mood. and what I'm hauling at the time. You should watch me load skid steers. I drive them on, then turn them around and drive them off

Vaughn I work everything I own. If it won't work it's out of here.

That is the truck you got real cheap, with just the cab on it right?

Looks like it has certainly earned it's keep!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yes Stu that is the $1500 special that was just a cab and chassis. Look behind it and you can see the $125 Suburban.

Yes I'm a cheapskate

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...4&d=1188167362

Robert,

I have a '90 1 ton Ford F-350 4x4 460....5 speed 4:10 rear end. 11 mpg..loaded, unloaded, uphill, downhill. I bought it used...it had 123,000 on it with a recent installation of a rebuilt engine. It was 6 years old when I bought it and paid 1/3 of what it cost new. It's served me well for over 10 years now. I've redone the brakes, installed a new clutch and a new power steering pump. Other than that I've just driven it. It's not the dually though. I've washed it off underneath....a dozen times at least but everytime it gets wet.....I can tell a cattle rancher was the previous owner.. My youngest son hauled 113 - 65lb blocks home one day and then 112 the next day. I aired the load range E tires up the 2nd day and he said it wasn't as mushy.

I've hauled hay on it and generally use it to haul my 9,000 lb. 26.5 ft. 5th wheel camp trailer with it.

I don't use it enough to warrant buying a new one.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    You should watch me load skid steers. I drive them on, then turn them around and drive them off
    You should see me load excavators...I don't use the ramps!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Hey Mickey funny hauling story...

My Grandfather and I were coming back from a woodlot with a skidder. This skidder sat in a dueled axeled, dual tired trailer. It was a 26 footer I think. Anyway we had it attached to our tri-axle truck which is pretty long unto itself. In tandem I thinks its either at the length limit, or beyond it.

Anyway we are on 220 and about to cross route 3...that being one of the most major roads in Maine. In other words a lot of traffic. So here we are sliding along with a long truck and a long trailer...

My Grandfather doesn't even begin to slow down for the intersection. He just jambs it down a gear, pours on the coal and we fly across. I am white knuckled and look at him with shock. He looks at me casually and says...

"A stop sign just tells you who has the right of way. You can't give them the right of way if they haven't got there yet."

AQnd you guys wonder why I am the way I am...

With a farm, you do wat you have to do. The good ole American pick-up truck is the tool that built America. Before that, the horse-drawn wagon, same thing but without the V-8.
    My old '77 Dodge was called on for a lot of things way beyond it's design limits. Including 23 years of work and over 500,000 miles.