Poor old truck

I made it earn its keep today :D

Dozer broke down over at the wood lot. So I got the goose neck trailer, loaded up the 2940 JD and went to retrieve it.

Put an 11,000 pound tractor on a 6500 pound trailer made the old girl bark a little :D

On a brighter note take notice that I finally got my side kit on the flatbed :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2940 on truck.jpg
    2940 on truck.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 85
I bet she felt a tug behind her Mickey, but to your credit it looks like you got your weight just about right. I could be wrong but it looks like the majority of the weight of the tractor was on the trailer axles, and the goose neck weight neither looks too light, not to heavy. :thumb:

This is completely preference, but I get squimish over the years loading equipment on trailers. I typically BACK them on, and DRIVE them off, but that is me. Of course it changes the weight on the trailer too...to a worse position really if you do back it on. I would make a guess that those rear tires are loaded with calcium?

Your vehicles really do work for a living, huh? Unlike some of the trucker wannabes I see driving around LA with dolled-up duallies that have never pulled a load heavier than the owner's fat backside. :rolleyes:

I've had lots of practice Travis. Sometimes I drive them on sometimes I back them on. just all depends on my mood. and what I'm hauling at the time. You should watch me load skid steers. I drive them on, then turn them around and drive them off :thumb:

Vaughn I work everything I own. If it won't work it's out of here. ;)

Robert,

I have a '90 1 ton Ford F-350 4x4 460....5 speed 4:10 rear end. 11 mpg..loaded, unloaded, uphill, downhill. I bought it used...it had 123,000 on it with a recent installation of a rebuilt engine. It was 6 years old when I bought it and paid 1/3 of what it cost new. It's served me well for over 10 years now. I've redone the brakes, installed a new clutch and a new power steering pump. Other than that I've just driven it. It's not the dually though. I've washed it off underneath....a dozen times at least but everytime it gets wet.....I can tell a cattle rancher was the previous owner..:huh: My youngest son hauled 113 - 65lb blocks home one day and then 112 the next day. I aired the load range E tires up the 2nd day and he said it wasn't as mushy.

I've hauled hay on it and generally use it to haul my 9,000 lb. 26.5 ft. 5th wheel camp trailer with it.

I don't use it enough to warrant buying a new one.

Hey Mickey funny hauling story...

My Grandfather and I were coming back from a woodlot with a skidder. This skidder sat in a dueled axeled, dual tired trailer. It was a 26 footer I think. Anyway we had it attached to our tri-axle truck which is pretty long unto itself. In tandem I thinks its either at the length limit, or beyond it.

Anyway we are on 220 and about to cross route 3...that being one of the most major roads in Maine. In other words a lot of traffic. So here we are sliding along with a long truck and a long trailer...

My Grandfather doesn't even begin to slow down for the intersection. He just jambs it down a gear, pours on the coal and we fly across. I am white knuckled and look at him with shock. He looks at me casually and says...

"A stop sign just tells you who has the right of way. You can't give them the right of way if they haven't got there yet."

AQnd you guys wonder why I am the way I am...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

With a farm, you do wat you have to do. The good ole American pick-up truck is the tool that built America. Before that, the horse-drawn wagon, same thing but without the V-8.
My old '77 Dodge was called on for a lot of things way beyond it's design limits. Including 23 years of work and over 500,000 miles.

Travis, whats a ramp? :rofl: Been there done that.

Ken you would fit right in with the wifes cousin, his ford collection.
93 1 ton dually. 7.3 with a turbo 5 speed
90 3/4 ton 4X4 7.3 NA 5 speed. He's been rebuilding it since last summer. Went through every thing engine tranny transfer case. had the whole body off and painted everything. It's almost done he is down to just finishing off the flat bed.

And then theres Lightspeed Thats its name. since it is painted light speed orange. Late 70's 3/4 ton. 300 six 4 speed 4X4 it's his daily driver. you can se it sitting in front of his garage in the pic.

Frank your right I have had a whole life of doing what I gotta do to get by.

Frank your right I have had a whole life of doing what I gotta do to get by.

You aren't the only one Mickey, so please don't feel alone. Myself, and many of us on here have worked until midnight wrenching on something so the stupid thing would be running by morning.

Exactly Trav, like what I'm working on today. The stupid bull dozer. got to get it tore down today, off to Cleveland tomorrow for parts and hopefully by Tuesday night its put back together

Robert said, in part, "Frank your right I have had a whole life of doing what I gotta do to get by."
We all may be digressing a bit here but the words are appropriate and follow the thread you started. On farms, maybe moreso than other occupations, one must do what must be done.
As most of you know, I'm originally a city boy who transplanted himself and family (deliberately) many years ago.
When we first moved to Arkansas, I decided I wanted to raise animals. But, knowing absolutely nothing about livestock or farming, I/we decided to start slow, small and learn from scratch. And, I do mean scratch. I didn't know the difference between hay and straw. I thought poled Herefords were raised in pole barns. Really. It was that bad.
We started with rabbits and studied literature from the extension office and visited other rabbit breeders. We were successful and even made a few dollars.
But, most importantly, our very young sons learned that the animals had to be taken care of, even under the most inconvenient circumstances. They would go out in rain and cold weather to check the animals and make sure they had feed and water. Later we translated this discipline into raising hogs and cattle. They learned to break calves for showing at fair, how to groom, feed and etc. Again, all this was done regardless of conditions or other 'wants' of the moment.
Both turned out to be well rounded, focused and self-disciplined individuals who were/are highly successful in life.
I believe that no where else but in rural America (no slight intended for our foreign friends) can such an experience be gained that prepares for life and careers.
I know it's Sunday, but I'll stop the sermon here. Could talk for length on this subject.
BTW, when we started, I didn't even have a truck. We hauled hogs home from the sale barn in the back of our car. Later, when we got a new(er) car, my youngest son, Brent, said, "Daddy, please don't put pigs in this one."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Frank that is the funniest thing I've heard all day, and I've even been talking to the wife!! :rofl: :rofl:

Pigs is funny. Got a few more pig stories. One time, we went to the auction barn to buy some feeders. On the way, I stopped at a TV shop and picked up a large carton out back. It was real heavy, waxed cardboard and slid right into the back of the Ford station wagon.
I bought a dozen, or so, feeder shoats and put them in that box in the back of the wagon. Got them home and backed into the pen area which was made of 4"X4" hog panels. Dumped that box on the ground and tipped it over so the little grunters could get out. Well, they did, like shot from a cannon and right through the 4x4 into the woods. Well, we had the neighbors and Cub Scouts running through the woods for hours and never found one.
The next morning I went down to the pen, still pretty upset over losing my pigs. Then I heard some noise in the pen and when I looked, every one of those little stinkers was back in the box. Go figger. :huh:
Kept 'em fed good and soon they were too big to get through the 4x4 again. Eventually, we sold a few and ate the rest.

BTW, I think that believing one raises poled cows in a pole barn is pretty darned funny.