I have a sharpening problem

Bart Leetch

When I sharpen skews over 1/2" I have a problem getting a nice clean angled sharpening. I have the Wolverine Sharpening System and Accessories & use it on a 6" grinder. Would sharpening a slight radius like shown in the attached picture make any difference. I have 1/2", 1" standard skews & a 1 3/32" oval skew. I have not had much luck using the oval skew are there any special skills I need to know to be successful with this skew?

I am going to purchase this system for my grinder for other tool sharpening

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32975&cat=1,43072,45938

& thought that this tool may help with skew sharpening.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32976&cat=1,43072

Attachments

• skew.jpg
    skew.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 6
Ever try freehanding and such? I have always done well just holding the skew in my little hand and sliding it across the toolrest of the grinder, then a session with the stones and a keen edged skew is at hand. I see not a reason to go with the "System" when the tried and true has always worked for me. Been doing it for over 40 years that way.

I use the Alan Lacer method using the Wolverine platform for sharpening and diamond honing skews. The Veritas platform is not as sturdy.

I like the straight across is better for close detail work. It has less obstruction on my view when using the long point.
With curved top, a slight swing around on the handle has little affect on the angle of attack. It is more friendly for planning cut.

Once you get used to it, I think either should work.

Bart,

I have the Wolverine system and the skew attachment. I haven't had any trouble sharpening any of my rectangular skews but none of mine are oval skews.

I hand grind my new lacer skews. I spent the better part of a day watching Lacer's video and then sharpening. Learning to sharpen the radiused skew by hand takes a while but in a day I was able to do it efficiently.

Lacer skews by the way are radiused similar to what you showed in the drawing. They require a slightly different technique but not a dramatic change. I spent an hour in the shop this morning playing with my 2 new Lacer skews. I'm getting ready to start some projects and wanted to become more proficient with them.

I have both Lacer skew's and was given the Raffan skew by a friend who couldn't sharpen it. Raffans skew is curved. I did like Ken and spent a hour or so learning how and watching Lacer's video. It takes me about 10 minutes to do one now and I only hone while turning.

Bart, I am lousy with a skew. Just when I think I got it, here comes a catch. Was watching a couple of short videos on Wood Magazine's site last night about skews. One on using and one on sharpening. They are about 10-12 minutes each. Hope these links take you there and don't violate any TOS.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid979295690/bclid1339217302/bctid1450952352

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid979295690/bclid1339217302/bctid1450926923
Jack, just for your future reference (and for others reading this, too), external links to good woodworking information are encouraged here. :thumb:

And thanks for posting them...I plan to watch them when I have a few minutes of spare time. :wave:

When I saw the title of this thread, my first reaction was: So, you think yer alone? ;)
Kinda wiseguy response, especially on Sunday morning. Sorry. But, it's a fact, sharpening is a constant challenge for all of us.
Can't add to what has been said. Good luck.

Bart,

I saw an article in the last few days where the guy puts a very slight crown on his grinding wheels. I'll try to look for it... might have been in Wood or in FWW. He's convinced it's better. Can't remember if he was grinding freehand or not. Personally, I like my wolverine, but I've never tried anything else. Don't know it the crown method would even work with any kind of jig...

Thanks,

Bill

When I saw the title of this thread, my first reaction was: So, you think yer alone? ;)
Kinda wiseguy response, especially on Sunday morning. Sorry. But, it's a fact, sharpening is a constant challenge for all of us.
Can't add to what has been said. Good luck.

Tonto who is this Frank Fusco looks like we need to sharpen him up a bit. Just bring his head to a point & then knock the point off. Don't want him to be to sharp he might end up being some kind of a wise guy.:eek::doh::dunno::):D:rofl: