Small Shop - Seeking rearrangement thoughts

Art Mulder

Hey Folks,

I've mentioned my shop before in various threads. I have a basement shop. It is fairly narrow, measuring 11x24. However, at one end we have a large L-shaped set of shelves with family storage (boxes) on it, so I don't get full use of the space, just about 80%.

Here's the layout, starting with the West Wall:
shop-apr08-west.jpg
Starting on the left we have a 2HP DC. I have one DC line running along the wall (coloured red), so I would really like to keep the tools along that wall. Then we have some wood storage on the wall, and wood shorts in a wheeled box below. Moving along is an assembly table -slash- outfeed table for the TS. My portable router table is down below on that table. Then the TS, then the 6" jointer, and the DP in the corner.

The 14" bandsaw is on the center of the North wall, small shelves above it. I pretty much need to wheel the BS out into the center of the room for any but the smallest cuts.

Then the opposite East Wall:
shop-apr08-east.jpg

Again, moving L->R we have some cabinets where I have random storage of jigs, blades, hardware as well as things like paint cans and electrical parts and other small tools and so on. Then a scrollsaw on a low cart tucked beside the workbench. (There is an un-drawn hand tool cabinet on the wall above the workbench. Then the door into the shop, and then those L-shaped shelves.

FInally the Southeast Corner:
shop-apr08-southeast.jpg

The storage shelves -- can't get rid of them for the forseeable (sp?) future. Tucked into the corner is the planer and Miter saw on a flip-top tool stand. That also needs to be wheeled out into the center of the shop and hooked up to a DC line when I need to use it.

The Challenge:

The jointer is my main headache, followed by the bandsaw. Anything over about 30" requires that I pull out the jointer and also shove the TS around (so the rails don't obstruct) in order to clear enough infeed/outfeed space.

I've looked and thought, but really can't think of a way to rearrange things to make it easier to use the jointer. I'd rather just rearrange, I don't want to have to buy or build anything -- too many other projects issues on the plate right now.

The bandsaw also could use a better place. If I could get rid of, or reduce, the L-shaped shelves in the corner, I would move the Bandsaw over to the south side of the door. I think it'd work well there, and it wouldn't be too far from the DC to run a short pipe/hose over there.

One radical idea I considered is to swap the TS and the workbench. That would be a lot of work, as I'd have to move the wall-mounted shelves and so on also. But it would play havoc with the DC layout, so it's not a welcome thought right now.

photos to go with the drawing:
SouthWEST: (Edit: I had this mislabeled as Southeast)
shop-sw2.jpg

NorthWest:
shop-wnw.jpg

NorthEast:
shop-ne2.jpg

Last edited:
Art

I don't have any specific recommendations. I must say your drawings are very impressive!

I sure wish I had my shop as organized as you already have yours. I am not about to post pictures.......

Garry

What if; you build a simple 2x4 frame to put underneath the jointer so as to raise it enough to clear the TS?

I know you said you didn't want to build anything but seeing your current configuration and available space that may be the easiest thing to do.

Would you have enough space for your bandsaw right beside the DC without removing the L shaped shelves? I see a small cabinet there in your drawing and from your pictures it looks as though it would fit.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

I don't have any specific recommendations. I must say your drawings are very impressive!

Garry, thanks, but I don't think I can take that much credit. I drew the box, that is, the room. I drew the shelves, and I drew the outfeed/assembly table. Oh yeah, and the trash can too. Everything else -- Everything -- came from a Sketchup model collection that I found on the net. All the big tools, the DC, the workbench, the cabinets, even that wall-mounted lumber store. All of it. ;)

What if; you build a simple 2x4 frame to put underneath the jointer so as to raise it enough to clear the TS?

I know you said you didn't want to build anything but seeing your current configuration and available space that may be the easiest thing to do.

Y'know Yann, that really isn't just a bad idea. I'm pretty tall, so it wouldn't inconvenience me much. Hmm, I don't think it'd impact on my TS use that much. But it still is a bit close to the DP. Hmm.

Oh, and when I said that I don't want to build, I was thinking more like throwing out the cabinets in the NE corner and replacing them with one tall cabinet-with-shelves. (or some such.)

Actually that suggestion for the bandsaw isn't too bad also, but I do tend to get lots of stuff piled up there in front of the DC, so it might be difficult to access.

Thanks for the ideas!

Would you have enough space for your bandsaw right beside the DC without removing the L shaped shelves? I see a small cabinet there in your drawing and from your pictures it looks as though it would fit.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Yann I am trying to understand what you've written.

I went through this same problem & I built a base that raised my table-saw to where the bottom of the miter slots were approximately even with my bench top @ 36" & then built a new base for the jointer that put the jointer fence just below the bench top. If It is done the way you suggest items from the table-saw will run into the jointer fence. See picture....I just pivot the in-feed of the jointer out away from the table-saw & can joint up to 10' material with roller stands. Oh by the way my shop is 13'5"x24'5" with a 7' 10" ceiling.

Also if you slide the jointer fence over so it is next to where you stand it will allow you to scoot the jointer over closer to th bench & open up a little more passage space DAMHIKT. This will require that you remove the regular guard but the guard behind the fence as well as the fence will have the cutter head covered anyway.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 046A.jpg
    A1 myshop 046A.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Art, your drawings are impressive. Maybe a stupid question of me, I don't know if you have a backyard and build a wooden shed in your backyard, that would solved all your problems, I came on that idea because a penfriend of me did the same, he had the simular situation as you have now.

Art,
I was going to suggest adjusting heights of the TS and jointer so the jointer could store under the TS wing. But Yann and Bart beat me to it.:D:thumb:
Since you are tall, what about raising the TS? I am going to build some sort of new base for my contractor saw to reclaim the wasted space under it and store the jointer somewhat similar to Bart's set-up.
I too have a small basement shop and have been mulling over reorganizing it. I have started a similar Sketch-up drawing - so I'll be really interested to see what you do!:thumb:

FWIW,
Wes

Oh by the way my shop is 13'5"x24'5" with a 7' 10" ceiling.

Bart, after being in this shop for 9 years, I have really come to understand the limitation that the narrow dimension imposes. I've read about numerous single-car garage shops like yours. In your case, you've got Two-and-a-half more feet of width than I do. And I can see from your photo how you make use of it with the router table and the jointer tucked under/behind.

30" inches isn't a whole lot, but it makes a huge amount of difference in the width of a shop. I've thought about putting the jointer beside the TS, maybe with the fence mechanism tucked behind it. But still, it would make the TS station about 20" wider and I just don't have that kind of space. Right now, between my workbench and my TS I have just enough space for a normal passage.

I was going to suggest adjusting heights of the TS and jointer so the jointer could store under the TS wing. But Yann and Bart beat me to it.

Wes, I've thought about. I may think about it again, but I just can't see it working unless my shop was 2' wider.

Art, your drawings are impressive. Maybe a stupid question of me, I don't know if you have a backyard and build a wooden shed in your backyard, that would solved all your problems,

Hmm, did you miss the bit where I said I don't really want o have to do a lot of building? I did that to avoid people suggestion I rebuild my workbench or cabinets and so on... and here you go suggesting that I build an entire outdoor structure! :huh::doh:

No no no! ;)
(seriously, with four young kids, outdoor play space is at a premium, and so an outdoor shed for storage is not happening. Believe me, I'd love to get rid of those corner boxes. However, I love my wife, and want to stay married to her, so that "negotiation" will be long, and delicate, and quite likely unsuccessful. :eek:

Bart, after being in this shop for 9 years, I have really come to understand the limitation that the narrow dimension imposes. I've read about numerous single-car garage shops like yours. In your case, you've got Two-and-a-half more feet of width than I do. And I can see from your photo how you make use of it with the router table and the jointer tucked under/behind.

30" inches isn't a whole lot, but it makes a huge amount of difference in the width of a shop. I've thought about putting the jointer beside the TS, maybe with the fence mechanism tucked behind it. But still, it would make the TS station about 20" wider and I just don't have that kind of space. Right now, between my workbench and my TS I have just enough space for a normal passage.

You missed something Art..... the table-saw is 8' from end to end.. Let me in your shop for about an hour & I'll show you how to get more space from that space.

Something you didn't see is my big shelves 2 of them 2'x8' 12" down from the ceiling. You can store a lot of stuff up high above your head & have more floor space.
I used plywood & 2x2 to make the triangular shelf brackets. The shelves have a rabbited 2x2 on the front edge & a 2x2 underneath the back edge that dropped into the notched back corner of the shelf bracket next to the wall. I slid the shelf on top of the bracket & the 2x2 dropped into the notch at the back of the bracket & a screw shot form the bottom side of the horizontal 2x2 on the bracket in front up into the shelf is all that needed to keep it there.

Art there are 2 band-saws 2 shapers 2 planers 2 lathes 1 cabinet saw 1 jointer 1 12" radial arm saw 1 2hp DC a 5' wide floor to ceiling 14" deep open tool & misc glue, screw etc storage cabinet a 7' long by about 24" deep cabinet on casters with the portable planer & spindle sander underneath & drawers with my mechanics tools. On top are my 12" CMS the bench top drill-press & mortiser.

There are also 3 doors 1 outside & 2 to other parts of the building.

There isn't much you can tell me about a small shop.:D I do think considering the size of your shop & table-saw you could make a reasonable work island with your table-saw, bench & jointer.
Yes your shop is narrower but so is your table-saw.

Art this isn't even a garage the largest door is 36". Another thing to consider is where you store clamps if there is enough room behind a door hang them there its wasted space anyway. I have some pics on my web site you can go there by going up to the button by my name. The shop has changed some I have moved the floor model drill-press back where the lathe used to be & the lathe is turned 90° just to the right along the back wall under the grinder top. Dad's Belsaw planer sits where the drill press used to be & his 2 shapers sit back behind the Unisaw extension table. The reason for having 2 of some tools is receiving Dad's tools.

Last edited:
Bart, indeed you are correct, material from the TS will catch on the jointer but Art's current arrangement has the jointer ahead of the TS AND against the wall so unless someone needs to cut sheet goods often it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I started out in a basement - this is one of the reasons I have a RAS instead of a TS. (My wife would say that I haven't progressed much further than the basement but that is a different topic. :rofl: )

In your case, I don't know how helpful this will be, but in my current 1 car garage setup, my DP lives between the jointer outfeed table and the bandsaw outfeed side (the jointer is against a wall to the right of the bandsaw, they both outfeed toward the drill press in the middle).

The drill press (with it's height adjustable table) doubles as outfeed support for either tool.

In any event, organization is critical with small shops - once clutter reaches a (small) critical mass, there simply are no staging areas to declutterify the shop and it gets discouraging.

Good luck!

central new york state has cold winters.
Do you heat the garage?
(I do all my work in my garage, detached, and I have no heating system, so when its cold out, shop is closed.)

We had unusual extended cold this winter and I couldn't get in my shop for a long time. Finally purchased some radiant heaters that clamp onto a 20 lb. propane bottle. Puts out a lot of heat and, I'm sure, would do for a larger shop in colder climes. Well worth the investment. Plus, it could be used as emergency back-up for the house in the event of an extended power outage.

We had unusual extended cold this winter and I couldn't get in my shop for a long time. Finally purchased some radiant heaters that clamp onto a 20 lb. propane bottle. Puts out a lot of heat and, I'm sure, would do for a larger shop in colder climes. Well worth the investment. Plus, it could be used as emergency back-up for the house in the event of an extended power outage.

I believe that propane heaters need to be used outdoors, or vented somehow?