i haven't posted pics for a while because it's such a pain for me to get the lighting right. i've spent several hours up and down the stairs to look at results on the pc that i can't really see well in the camera. even with that these are not great pictures...sorry about shadows, color changes,etc.
this lidded box was my first attempt at a finial. i made four finials before i accepted this one and now it looks like the ball on top is too large. the problem was i didn't have ebony so i was trying to substitute clear poplar. it just fuzzed up too much no matter what i did. the finial i accepted is hard maple, dyed with alcohol based ink (no grain raising). the body is tulip poplar that looked and turned punky. i flooded it with thin superglue and rubbed the sawdust in the voids. and the lid is walnut.
Attachment 19248 Attachment 19247
the second piece is a potpourri bowl from padauk. i wanted to see if i could get anything from an 8/4 board.. i bought three long ones when a woodshop was going out of business. can't remember what i paid but not a lot. so i'm limited in dia and height. i do love the look of padauk but i believe it turns more brown with exposure based on the look of the surface of this board when i pulled it out of the rack. very large pores like walnut..
Attachment 19249Attachment 19250Attachment 19251