Tool cabinet progress!

Dominic Greco

Hi everyone,
I finally installed the patches to fix the miscut dados and then re-cut them this past weekend. I also made several holders for my saws and spokeshaves. I installed them temporarily above my work bench so I could see how well they functioned.

The backsaw holder is a simple idea I picked up from "The Toolbox Book". It's rather simple to use and holds the saw very securely. Since the saws will be stored on the inside of the doors, I needed a solution that was low profile. The Dozuki and Gents Saw holders are just blocks of wood with a saw kerf.

tool%20holders.jpg

The spoke shave holder is made from hardboard. But the final design will be cut from hardwood. From this mock up I found I can reduce the space between the tools as well as make the holder not as "deep" (wide). I believe it sticks out too much. BTW, if anyone has a better solution to hanging their spoke shaves, please feel free to show them off! :>)

spoke%20shave%20holder.jpg

I also managed to FINALLY get all the carcass parts together for a dry fit. I was really very happy with the way all the joints fit. The next step will be the glue up, then cutting and installing spines at the mitered corners.
tool%20cabinet%20dry%20fit.jpg

Last edited:
looking great so far dominic :thumb:

this is just another idea for you, i just installed a magnetic bar for my shaves , and also for my planes so i could stand them up on end . my case in only 7" deep (space constraints)
hope this helps :)

Attachments

• updated tool cabinet pic.jpg
    updated tool cabinet pic.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 32
looking great so far dominic :thumb:

this is just another idea for you, i just installed a magnetic bar for my shaves , and also for my planes so i could stand them up on end . my case in only 7" deep (space constraints)
hope this helps :)

Thanks Jim!

But I think I'm going to stay away from magnets. They tend to magnetize the metal and that makes it (for me) a pain when when sharpening. The filings/swarth get stuck to the blade.

Great job Dominic! :thumb:

I have a few like fixtures to make for my shop.

Thank you for the ideas.

DT