Head stock center to small Help

Sorry guys,

Bart, Vaughn, no offense, but I think you jumped to conclusions on this one. :eek: (although, I did ask for pictures to clarify things.) I can't figure how a solid spindle shaft would be used on a lathe. :huh: No way to drive the centers out, as Chuck said. There would have to be a slot in the shaft to use a taper drift.

Hey Chuck,

Glad to see you got that alright now. :thumb: You must have cut off about 1 thread from the end of the spindle shaft. You still should have enough threads to hold a chuck or faceplate, right?

Sounds to me like either the internal taper was over-reamed when made, (is this a NEW lathe? I would have to go back to read again) or, (and I doubt very much this would happen) that the previous users did allow tooling to spin in the hole, (as in a drive center or a drill chuck) enlarging it to where it would not hold a tapered center. In my years of machining experience, I have found that slipping morse tapers usually gall both the taper of the tool and the bore. This may have happened and someone reamed it to clean it up, resulting in the splindle becoming oversized. :dunno:

Aloha, Tony

Thanks Kurt,

I didn't know that.

I went back and re-read Chuck's opening post and I apologize :eek: for not paying closer attention. :doh: This is a NEW lathe, so my statement that "Sounds to me like either the internal taper was over-reamed when made" might be the case here. Not an absolute impossibility, right?

Aloha, :wave: Tony

..... This is a NEW lathe, so my statement that "Sounds to me like either the internal taper was over-reamed when made" might be the case here. Tony

No, I think your assumption could be right in the first instance Tony.

Went down today and got the new to me lathe.
From this original post

Which to me intimates pre owned, hence my comments on checking sizes in case the spindle had been re-reamed to repair damage.

There again we do speak a different language this side of the pond.:) :dunno:

Hmmm,

I'm standing corrected, if necessary, again. I better pay more attention, huh?

You Brits speak so I understand just fine Chaz. Never been a problem. Now some of these locals here in Hawaii can be hard to understand.

As to the spindle taper bore problem, I think I will stick to my guns on the opinion of it being over bored during manufacture and never being noted. It just got caught by Chuck.

But it looks like it's taken care of, for now anyway. I sure hope Chuck doesn't run into anything else to give him grief. Sure looks like a nice machine though. Wish I could have one.

Aloha, Tony

Ok it is a PM 45 sr# 8545102 My guess from the sr # is that it is a 1985:dunno:
I believe it and it's twin came out of a school. So it has had 20+ years of high school kids beating it.
Tony you are right I shaved off about one thread. There is still plenty of threaded shaft for the face plate. (About 7/8" left) I have had a face plate on to make sure that the threads still work and are filed right. With the face plate on the shaft is about 3/16" short of being flush with the face plate.
Here are some pics of the shaft.
I do believe the yellow is the original color.
Hope this clears this up :rofl::rofl:
Sorry Frank yes the pics are bad and I posted them any ways my bad:doh:
Bill thanks for the link I will have to print one of them out.

Last edited:
Ok it is a PM 45 sr# 8545102 My guess from the sr # is that it is a 1985:dunno:
I believe it and it's twin came out of a school. So it has had 20+ years of high school kids beating it.
Tony you are right I shaved off about one thread. There is still plenty of threaded shaft for the face plate. (About 7/8" left) I have had a face plate on to make sure that the threads still work and are filed right. With the face plate on the shaft is about 3/16" short of being flush with the face plate.
Here are some pics of the shaft.
I do believe the yellow is the original color.
Hope this clears this up :rofl::rofl:
Sorry Frank yes the pics are bad and I posted them any ways my bad:doh:
Bill thanks for the link I will have to print one of them out.

If it were in a school shop I can attest that the motor was not abused as there is not enough time in the curriculum to allow students to do much turning, just some basic instruction, Most of the abuse comes with the attachments such as dropping the Toolrest holder or beating the spurs with misdirected chisels. Often belts and pulleys give way because of constant changing speeds but as for reamed out center, I doubt it. I question the diameter of the center, Is it too small or is the hole too large. Which is the problem? I know, that was the original Primus.

I use a #1 MT and I checked all my attachments vary in size as much as 0.025 at the max dia. I do have an old #2 MT spindle center from another life and it measures 0.700 at the max dia. which is about 11/16" diameter. are you W/in that range?

Bill best I can tell my spur (the new jet one)center is 13/16" at it's widest.
The mouth on the shaft is 23/32".
The old one is 3/4" it still is to sloppy to work, but the new jet one works now.
As near as I can tell a #3 mt starts at about 23/32" and goes to 15/16". Which would mean that an mt3 would not even fit into my head stock shaft. The angle of a MT#3 is 1.4377 the angle of a MT#2 is 1.4307

Last edited: