Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof!

Proof!

Hey, folks,

There are those who don't believe me when I say I'm the world's biggest doofus. For those few remaining doubters, I offer the following incident as definitive proof!

So there I am, on a fine saturday morning. I've got big plans for the day of woodworking, but first I need to straighten up the shop. One of the big impediments is numerous large chunks of wood on the floor. Ok, have to process them sometime for the lathe, might as well do them all and get it over with.

So I get a few done, but it's a little slow. So I tell myself ok, try the 3/4" blade. That way I can slice the corners off, turn them all into octagons, and then go back to the smaller blade for final rounding. How long can it take to change the blade? Five, ten minutes?

I change the blade to a 3/4" timberwolf, just to see. Well, what I found is that 14" bandsaws just aren't designed to properly tension a 3/4" blade of that type, even if they *are* named 'Ultimate'. It wasn't cutting straight, so I made it a little tighter. It got better, better... just another turn... and then snap!

At first I thought I'd broken the blade. When the dust settled, I discovered two things had happened at once: first, I'd twisted the knob off the tensioning bolt. Broke off right in my hand. Well, both hands... I was turning it pretty hard. Second, there are two steel bars that hold the tensioning mechanism in place... those both bent completely, and need replacement.

Best of all, I actually rethreaded the nut that holds the long tensioning bolt to the mechanism. Had to put it in the vise to even get it part way off... far enough to get a hacksaw onto the bolt. Of course, to get it that far apart I had to take the upper wheel off, and the upper wheel guard, which also meant both front and rear blade guards, which also meant...

Long story short, I've got a bandsaw that looks like it's been guillotined, with a bunch of parts to order, and a bunch of other parts lying about, and a shop still littered with potential blanks, and some cabinets still unmade, and Doorlink saying "I can't believe you're that strong!" and talking about getting at least one more, and maybe two more, husbands...

So, Now do you believe me? Sheesh!

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 04-07-2008 at 06:04 PM.

I'm a believer!

No, I'm sorry to hear about your issue. Glad to hear you are alright, never know what a machine can really do until something bad happens.

At least she wasn't there saying "See that kids, don't turn out like that!"
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Bill, I kinda hate to suggest this, but are you sure the blade was right side up? Were the teeth pointed up or down? This is the Voice of Experience asking the question; I've seen cuts like you described when I've installed the blade upside down. Especially for rough-cutting bowl blanks, I'd think the 3/4" Timberwolf would have been cutting beaucoup straight long before things went 'sproing'. Unless, of course, it was upside down.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

And? I have days like that all the time. Here is a sample, Once me a my best freind tried to go gather some logs. It ended up takeing us two hours to go 4 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Bill, I kinda hate to suggest this, but are you sure the blade was right side up? Were the teeth pointed up or down? This is the Voice of Experience asking the question; I've seen cuts like you described when I've installed the blade upside down. Especially for rough-cutting bowl blanks, I'd think the 3/4" Timberwolf would have been cutting beaucoup straight long before things went 'sproing'. Unless, of course, it was upside down.
    I'm still a doubter (mostly because I know myself so well ). However, if it turns out you busted the saw because the blade was in updide down I'll consider you a contender. Maybe we can schedule a "doofus-off".

(Hope it all goes back together for you ok)
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well, I shall just take this as a lesson learned from somewhat else's mistake. Yep, the typically constructed 14" bandsaw is really not capable of applying proper tension to a 3/4" wide blade, but I had been thinking that maybe the Timberwolf blades, which are advertised as requiring less tension, might be an exception. Think I shall forget about ordering one to try out.

Now we'll just have to see if Bill can turn this to his best advantage when you consider Doorlink's response to the incident. This being a family rated forum, I'll not venture further along that line. As to Bill being an absolute Doofus, I'll simply say that he does have a tendency to have "stuff" happen to him. Not Doofus, maybe just some bad karma.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

I keep reading that typical 14" bandsaws can't properly tension a 3/4" blade, but I've had success using a couple different ones on my Shop Fox. Don't really know if it was tensioned to what others would consider a proper level, but it cut wood and didn't wander. I gotta say though, that the 3/4" Timberwolf "resaw" blade I tried was a bit underwhelming. It didn't strike me as being any better than my 1/2" Woodslicer. In fact, the Woodslicer leaves a much better-finished cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry
    ...So I get a few done, but it's a little slow. So I tell myself ok, try the 3/4" blade. That way I can slice the corners off, turn them all into octagons, and then go back to the smaller blade for final rounding.
    No sure I'm following your logic here, Bill. How does cutting the corners off make rounding them up with a smaller blade any faster? Looks to me like you're adding a step, not reducing time.

workingwoods.com

Even Timberwolf doesn't recommend using a 3/4" blade on a standard 14" band-saw, at least they advised against it when I talked to them. I have both the 1/2" Timberwolf blade which works great & the Woodslicer which I haven't tried yet.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Even Timberwolf doesn't recommend using a 3/4" blade on a standard 14" band-saw, at least they advised against it when I talked to them. I have both the 1/2" Timberwolf blade which works great & the Woodslicer which I haven't tried yet.
    since when do you read instructions bart???? the corners being gone would make the next cut alot easir to do with the smaller blade.. but i thought those spinny things made stuff round
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    s...the corners being gone would make the next cut alot easir to do with the smaller blade...
    I still don't see the logic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl Blank cuts.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	19316

Even if the corner cuts went all the way to the line of the circle, it doesn't seem like it'd speed things up at all.

workingwoods.com