it's Griz's fault (and Ned's!)

I'm going to try to place an order for (among other things) a Hock blade for the plane Griz helped me restore and I want to know what the protective stuff is that I want to get for it (Carnuba oil?) so I can see if craftsmanstudio carries it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
After this whole thing I ended up not getting the Camellia oil.

I did get a Hock replacement blade for my restored Craftsman plane (it looked to be closer to 1 3/4" than any other choices, so that's what I ordered), a Beall angle measuring tilt box and a height gauge adapter for the combination square. This brought me just over the required purchase amount for free shipping from Hartville Tool - they don't offer Camellia Oil on their website.

Now comes the hard part - waiting for the new toys to get here! :rofl:

hi mark

can't wait to see pics .....you know the drill by now :D

the only places i have seen camelia oil is lie-nielsen and mayyyyybe woodcraft ? i got mine from the lie-nielsen website i think :huh:

Last edited:
camellia oil & applicator

Camellia Oil & applicator.jpg

I learned this from Frank Klauz some years ago.

Camellia oil is good to help keep metal clean and shiny. The applicator is a piece of 2" PVC with end caps. The material inside is a felt block cut to fit. Chalk board erasers work real well for this. Remove the "board" top from the eraser and just use the felt.

A friend used an old tee shirt cut into strips and rolled as tight as he could get it and stuffed it in. Then he barbered the edges for a nicely shaped applicator. Lots of ways to skin this cat. The idea is to get the applicator material jammed into the PVC as tight as possible.

The bottom cap is flat on the end. The top cap is slightly domed. It is easy to tell the top from the bottom. The bottom is glued on. This was serendipitous. Just happened to find two different styles in the borg bin. :)

Cut the PVC to allow your applicator stand proud by a 1/2" or so. Mine is about 2-1/2" long.

Once the applicator is completed, simply add camellia oil until the applicator is saturated.

The size works well on everything from hand planes to jackknives.

Last edited:
Carol has it spelled the way they do at craftsmanstudio (you know what to do with the 3 double-ewe's and the com). I'll have to take a peek at the LN site though, might just use getting the Camellia oil as an excuse for a non-LA ground blade for that 62 that you were drooling over when I stopped by! :rofl:

That was a good applicator idea - thanks!

Oh, just saw in the email inbox that the Hock blade order is shipped and the UPS site says it is en route!

The Hartville Tool order arrived! Actually, it arrived Tuesday after being ordered Friday morning, but now is the first time I have a pic available. I've been around long enough to know better than to post that an order arrived without a pic! :rofl:

I posted the pic of this order and a more recent tool acquisition here.