Hollow Form........ WIP

Stuart Ablett

Dunno if this one will survive the ride or not, but it has so far........ with some help from Mr. CA Glue that is :rolleyes:

In >> this thread <<, I show how I processed some large chunks of wood I have, on the largest piece, there was this "Bump" that I cut off, and it looked to have some interesting figure in it, but it also had a bad inclusion/void in it......

hf_keyaki_holedsource.JPG
You can see it here

Well, it DOES have some nice figure and burl in it, but man did it want to fly apart at times.

I took it down to nearly an 1/8" except the bottom, which I left a full 1/4", and it is still a bit green, too green to sand, I tried, so I'll DNA soak it, and then, once dry, I'll sand it.

This is how it looks now....

hf_keyaki_holed1.JPG hf_keyaki_holed2.JPG hf_keyaki_holed3.JPG hf_keyaki_holed4.JPG

The big hole in the side sure made emptying the shavings out of this hollow form easy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers!

Hopefully it won't crack up as you've done well to get it this far by the look of it. Be interested to see what shape it is when it is fully dry. Not much room to play with though at that thickness.

Pete

Thanks gents!

I really did not think it would survive, so I went at it with a "This Will Be Good Practice" mentality, and guess what, it has survived so far.... :dunno:

I know it will not have any room for re-turning, so all I hope to do is some sanding, when it is dry.

Cheers! :wave:

Looks very cool Stu. Reminds me of a Grecian antiquity. Don't know if you'd want to but maybe you could enhance that look with the finish.

Looks nice so far, Stu. Congrats on getting it to stay together. One problem I've seen with big voids on the side like that is that it makes it hard to sand with the piece spinning (which equals hand sanding), yet it makes it easy to see how well or poorly the inside is sanded. :p

Great job Stu. How was the pucker factor? It would have been high for me.:rofl:

Actually not that high, as it was "Waste" wood and I was out of the line of fire, mostly, and wearing my armor (Triton Power Respirator) while using my hollowing rig, so I kept the cuts light, and cranked the speed up to around 1600 rpm, makes the voids go by quicker :D

Good job Stu.

It must have been difficult to turn that. My turning experience is restricted to turning some handles and a nunchaku on a drill powered lathe.

To me it looks rather scary attempting to hand turn a piece with such a void:thumb: