Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Manistique, Michigan

I am new to the forum. I am a member of Wood Magazine forum and heard about this forum from Travis Johnson. Travis, thanks for the information.

I know Steve Ash - our wives used to work together in Manistique a score of years ago.

Most of what I have learned was from magazines and forums. I really appreciate the information on the forums and try to share my experiences as everyone else does.

I live near of Manistique in Michigans beautiful UP (Upper Penninsula). I have a 20 x 28 shop made pole building style that I started in 1999. I am mainly into building cabinets and, since my middle daughter is an artist, I make may frames for paintings, sketches, etc. My equipment includes a Clearvue 1800 cyclone, a Grizzly GS1023 cabinet saw, Jet 6" jointer, Makita planer, Bosch SCMS, a router table with a 3 1/4 horse router. I added on to the shop - 20 x 24 - for cold storage (for my boat after I bought a tractor) so I now have a place for my lumber and sheet goods. It sure helped clear out the shop so I have more assembly space. This also allowed me to rearrange the floor layout of the shop so the work flows better.

My family is into logging and I have 20 acres of hardwood. I had it thinned a few years ago. I installed an outdoor wood boiler so I can cut and burn the trees that will only be good for pulpwood. For the wood that is not going to be a log, it is worth more to me as a source of heat than selling for pulpwood. I heat both my shop and my house with the boiler.

My day job is Engineering Manager (ie Plant Engineer) at Manistique Papers, Inc. I am a mechanical engineer (Michigan Tech 1984) and have a PE license.

I look forward to getting to know everyone on the forum.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Fort Washington, PA
    Welcome to the forum Rich, thanks Travis for pointing Rich this direction. Looking forward to hearing and seeing some of what you do in that shop.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Hey Rich!

Glad you found your way over careful telling this group you know me, they might get the idea you hang out with lowlifes or sumpthin.

Sure do miss the U.P. and especially my old stompin grounds of Manistique. Judy and I might have to look you and Beth up next trip up there, It has been a while since I've seen you guys.

Judy says to tell you guys Hi.

Look forward to seeing your posts!
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Tokyo Japan
    Welcome to the Family Rich!

When you get a chance, we'd all love to see a few pics of your shop etc.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Welcome Rich, glad to have you here.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Rio Rancho, NM
    Welcome to the Family, Rich. Pull up a chair and pour a cup of coffee and join the party. We like pictures, so time to post some of your shop, please?

Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Welcome Rich! We've "talked" a little at the CV forum. Good to have you here with the Family! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Field, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome aboard Rich, Hope you meet old friends here and that you make new ones .
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so keep your hands away and watch out!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Rich!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Any friend of Steve & Travis has to be one to have in the Family. Welcome!