My First Laptop

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was cleaning up the basement this weekend getting ready to finish my remodel and came across my first laptop. I used to do all of my drawing on this old thing. It was taken with me on family vacations, trips to my grandma's, and to the lake over the summer. It was also my first real woodworking project as a freshman in high school. I only got a 'B' on the project since I had taken it home over the weekend and finished it there. Because of that my teacher said he wasn't suppose to give me that high of a grade, but said I did a good job on it so I deserved something.

The case is made from walnut, the sides and interior are hardboard that was smooth on both sides (something my dad had around the shop at the time). The lid is held open by two walnut supports that swing up. I also had a couple of old speakers around the house so I wired it up for my stereo cassette player at the time (mp3 player works well in it also). Velcro was just becoming available then, so it holds the speaker covers on as well as the folder to the inside of the lid. Inside I could store paper, drawings, and all of my drawing supplies. At the time it was truely ahead of it's time. To this day I don't think I've seen anything close to it. Anyway, here it is...

Attachments

• DSC01098.jpg
    DSC01098.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01100.jpg
    DSC01100.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01101.jpg
    DSC01101.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC01102.jpg
    DSC01102.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01103.jpg
    DSC01103.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01104.jpg
    DSC01104.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 43
Very cool, Darren. :thumb: Lap desks have been around for centuries, but I haven't seen one with built-in speakers.

Very cool, Darren. :thumb: Lap desks have been around for centuries, but I haven't seen one with built-in speakers.

I wonder how his battery performance is... :rolleyes:

Actually, in photo 3, with it wide open, I'm looking and looking, but I can't see the prop stick that is in the other photos where it is partially opened.