New tools (kinda) for the shop

Lee Laird

Over the past year or so I've aquired a fair amount of "upgrades". These are as follows: SawStop Table saw, Jet 6" Deluxe Jointer, Jet 1 1/2 hp Dust Collection 1100 cfm, 13" DeWalt Planer and Powermatic Hollow-Chisel Mortiser. I've got a picture of each, except for the dust collection, attached. To start working wood I bought a used 10" Grizzly table saw around 1987 and no matter the tweaking would not stay square to the fence nor the miter slot. I finally bought my SawStop about a year ago and it is so wonderful. Always thought I would buy a Delta Unisaw, but when my wife heard about the technology in the SawStop it cinched the deal. :thumb: I bought the 3hp version with the 52" fence. Doesn't matter what wood or how thick it seems to just keep on going without laboring. I got the Jointer shortly after the TS and I've been really happy with it's output. I wish it was at least an 8" but it will do for now. I'm glad it has the indexed knives which really speeds up the blade changes and the longer tables are a plus. The planer and mortiser are a couple of months old. Actually, this table was the first project using each of them. The planer is just so great. I have experienced absolutely no snipe. I'm not sure if I just got lucky and bought the best one they've made or what! The mortiser is the model 701. Easy to use and the built in hold-down system works like a charm. The dust collector is a nice addition, too. I finally have something that can easily keep up with any of my machines. I got the 1100 cfm unit with the 2 micron filter. I'm sure someone will notice that my "shop" is part of my garage. Someday maybe I'll be able to have a dedicated shop. As for my old TS, you can see it handling table duties holding up my Planer. :D Saw top was just the right size to easily feed some clamps through the criss-cross cast iron tables.

Everyone can imagine how much difference these tools can make. I went from a non-accurate TS with no jointer, planer, mortiser or dust collection other than a shop-vac to the above mentioned setup. Quite the difference.

Attachments

• LeeSaw.jpg
    LeeSaw.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Jointer.jpg
    Jointer.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Planer.jpg
    Planer.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Mortiser.jpg
    Mortiser.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 51
It sure is nice when you get to see first-hand the difference between OK tools and great tools. Sounds like you've had a fun year of upgrades.

So true, so true. I've always loved working with wood, it's just now I can anticipate the results. Sure was frustrating working out the plans for "insert project name" and having joints that didn't line up or gaps. You can be as precise as possible and if your machines don't work to that precision you've got junk. John sums me up pretty well. I guess that's appropriate since I used to live in Knoxville.

Stu,

I'm trying to put together a shop that I'll be able to make either fine furniture for family/friends or for sale after I retire. Off to a good start. I didn't mention the bandsaw that I'll add in a month or two. It's a Minimax MM16 which will really add some capability over my 14" Delta.